Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Support Efforts for Repeal of WEP legislation H.R.82 and S.597  (Read 791 times)

• Liked: 59
Through a separate link (thanks to @nun ) I joined ACA (American Citizens Abroad) and opened a US bank account with State Department Federal Credit Union in US$ paying 5.10% interest fixed for 15 months.

Part of being a member of ACA means that I get various updates on issues that are important to USC's living abroad - more recently they've provided links and advice on how to vote in the upcoming election - without showing any political allegiance there's one person that I wouldn't want to see in the White House!

Another important issue for me (and I'm sure many others on this site) is WEP. There have long been efforts to repeal this legislation and maybe (we can all hope!) there is some current movement here.

If you're interested in supporting efforts to repeal this legislation, here is a link with more information:

https://www.americansabroad.org/stop_the_reduction_of_us_social_security_due_to_the_windfall_elimination_provision_wep?utm_campaign=repeal_of_wep_240808&utm_medium=email&utm_source=americansabroad

• Liked: 734
Re: Support Efforts for Repeal of WEP legislation H.R.82 and S.597
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2024, 02:13:23 PM »
Thanks for the link, I will certainly add my voice to the masses calling for the elimination of WEP.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 9
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2024, 06:53:00 PM »
Interesting that the bill has cosponsors in the house and senate representing a majority of both bodies, with support from many Democrats and Republicans. And yet the bill is rated as having very little chance of becoming law. Congress is disfunctional. (Click through the links to the house and senate bills found on the ACA page linked for the details).

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2024, 07:25:04 PM »
Congress is disfunctional.

Now that's an understatement! - they probably get it from having geriatric presidential candidates   ;D

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2024, 06:59:57 PM »
Just pushing this initative to the top of pile again! - if it ever gets over the line, it will benefit most (if not all) members.

Here's the latest update from American Citizens Abroad:

Help Congressman Graves and Congresswoman Spanberger get H.R. 82 over the finish line.

Representatives Graves and Spanberger will be jointly filing a discharge petition on September 9.  This will allow H.R. 82 to be brought to the House floor for a vote. Please use ACA's advocacy write-in campaign to urge your Representative in Congress to sign the discharge petition when they return to the House on September 10.  218 signatures are needed to discharge H.R. 82 so that it can be put to a vote on the House floor.  Help Representatives Graves and Spanberger get the votes they need!

And here's the link to make it easy for you!

https://www.americansabroad.org/stop_the_reduction_of_us_social_security_due_to_the_windfall_elimination_provision_wep?utm_campaign=hr_82_advocacy_240827&utm_medium=email&utm_source=americansabroad

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab