Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Exporting 220 Appliances to UK  (Read 1196 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
Exporting 220 Appliances to UK
« on: December 14, 2004, 05:44:40 AM »
We just moved over in Aug; but I am missing my "American" appliances.  Has anyone exported 220 appliances from the US?  Looking at Maytag washer, dryer and refrig with an ice maker.  The price is just so expensive here in the UK for these products; but the exchange rate seems to make this a very attractive idea.  Where did you get the appliances - finding lots of options thru the web; but want to ensure they are reputable.

Looking for insight...... thanks!

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Exporting 220 Appliances to UK
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 10:28:37 AM »
Electrical issues aside, do you have room for American sized appliances?  I think you'll find that it's going to be very difficult to find space for appliances from the US.  I also don't know that converting them to run here will be worth the trouble either.  Just my 2p... 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Hi there.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 09:44:33 PM »
Some US companies (Maytag, Whirlpool, Amana) make 220 versions of their appliances to sell in the UK; there is also some distribution in the US - these are not 'after market converted' appliances.  I priced a Maytag Neptune washer and tumble dryer for $3,500 (£1,800) in the UK -- they sell for about $1,900 in the US.

Your point about the space is a very good one to consider; fortunately we are living in a large regency house so space is not an issue - feels very much like an American house  (38" doors and 12' high ceilings).

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 10:17:49 PM »
If you're going to be in that particular house long term and you're willing to pay for them, you might as well go for it.  I don't know that you'll be able to find them cheaply though. 

Personally, I'd be afraid to pay that kind of money for appliances that wouldn't fit in another home. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Hi there.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 12:34:06 AM »
After thinking about it - I realized this will by my 5th set of washer/dryer in 10 years (all for various reasons).  Guess I just have a thing for appliances.  ;D 

With a large family, I do 20+ loads of laundry a week - definately looking for the larger size washer and dryer.  Another option is to go to 2 euro washers & 2 tumble dryers.  We have decided our life is in England so rather than live like this is temporary - live for today!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 07:40:15 AM »
My head is fuzzy from just getting over <whatever> has been going around lately, so forgive if I got this wrong: are you now in the Wiltshire area? If so, then you might be interested in an appliance store located in Bath specializing in American appliances. They did have a large-capacity Maytag there when I was in there last. (I think I've been in the UK long enough to be acclimated, because when I passed it I almost yelped out a "Holy cr*p!" because of the size...LOL.)

As far as the American-style refrigerators, I still find them too small. My own solution was to find two separate ones that complimented each other, and put them side by side. Works beautifully. MUCH better than an American-style would be. Liebherr (made by Meile but is less expensive) fit my wants, and I love love love it. Best fridge I have ever had. (You can also get it with an icemaker)

I've never thought about exporting a 220 from the US. You're right about the exchange rate, though. Might make it feasible. You might also want to look in to some of the European makes. Just because it isn't labeled up as being American, doesn't mean it's going to be small.

My Meile dishwasher rivals any US model for size.

Have you seen the Corner Fridge? It's massive!
http://www.cornerfridge.com/cornerfridge.htm
From their site: "The Corner Fridge has been likened to a Tardis as it offers 1300 litres of capacity, yet takes up only one square metre of floor area. Compare that to a conventional refrigerator, offering roughly one third and American style refrigerators which offer approximately half the capacity."
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 08:59:59 PM »
There are a couple of other technical points to consider.

First, some American 240-volt appliances actually need 120V as well.  A dryer is a typical example, using 240 for the heating elements and 120 for the timer and control circuits.   A U.S. split-phase supply provides both voltages at the dryer outlet, but the U.K. supply is pure 240.  You could get around this by modifying the appliance with a suitable transformer, but obviously this is not a job for the non-technically minded.

Second, it is not just the voltages which are different but also the supply frequency.  American supplies are 60 Hertz (cycles per second) versus the British 50 Hz.   Although the frequency difference is insignificant for many appliances, motors can be a concern.   Small motors on items such as portable power tools are rarely a problem, but larger types can run much less efficiently on the wrong frequency.    Synchronous motors designed for 60Hz will also run slow on a British 50Hz supply.

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• Hi there.
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 01:28:34 PM »
Paul_1966 -- there are some companies which distribute 220/50hz appliances in the US; based on my research their target market is military, diplomats and expats.  Didn't know if anyone had had good luck with any particular company.

Although some companies have tried to market 110/60Hz appliances with a transformer; I just think it would shorten the life span of the appliance too much b/c of the 60 vs 50 Hz.

BTW - Love the Liebherr fridge!  Unfortunately they only left me 36" for the fridge/freezer. 

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 02:02:36 PM »
There are a couple of other technical points to consider.

First, some American 240-volt appliances actually need 120V as well.  .....
Also US 220V appliances are using 60Hz mains power, whereas British 220V (it was changed back in the 90s from 240V) use 50Hz mains power, so any appliance with a motor isn't going to run at the same speed, which may cause reliability/ durabilty and performance issues.

• Banned

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 04:44:33 PM »
Also US 220V appliances are using 60Hz mains power, whereas British 220V (it was changed back in the 90s from 240V) use 50Hz mains power,

Yes, I mentioned the frequency difference, which while of no consequence to many appliances can have a significant effect on higher-powered motors.

British supplies are officially 230 volts now to align with an agreed European standard.     All that was done though was to introduce a standards kludge to the allowable tolerances, changing the old specification of 240V +/-6% to a new one of 230V +10%/-6%.    That allowed us to designate everything as 230V without actually changing anything.    Although 230V nominal transformers will no doubt be fitted gradually as replacements become necessary, it still means that for all practical purposes most of the U.K. is still really on 240V nominal.    As transformers have a service life measured in decades, that will still be the case for many more years to come.

Some European countries which were formerly 220V nominal made a similar adjustment the opposite way around to allow their supplies to be called 230V as well.

Isn't bureaucracy wonderful?     ;D

« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 04:46:26 PM by Paul_1966 »
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 02:20:24 AM »
.....  all practical purposes most of the U.K. is still really on 240V nominal.   .....  Isn't bureaucracy wonderful?   
"Nominal" is the right word - in fact the electricity generation/ distribution companies only have a legal obligation to keep the mains supply voltage at 180V or higher (if I remember correctly), and it is common for the voltage well below 230V to fall during times of high demand.

• Banned

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 10:37:53 AM »
a legal obligation to keep the mains supply voltage at 180V or higher (if I remember correctly)
No, they have a legal obligation to maintain the voltage within the specified tolerance, i.e..   

Formerly:  240 +/-6%  =  225.6 thru 254.4 volts
Now:  230 +10/-6%  = 216.2 thru 253 volts.

(There is also an obligation to maintain the frequency within 1%, i.e. 49.5 thru 50.5 Hz.)

As you say though, voltages are nominal, and will always vary depending upon demand.   We're fortunate in the U.K. in having a grid which is pretty well-regulated most of the time.   In many parts of Continental Europe regulation is nothing like as good.
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

Sponsored Links