Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: child benefit, tax credit  (Read 1957 times)

• Liked: 7
child benefit, tax credit
« on: May 13, 2005, 08:59:05 PM »
So if I come to the Uk with my minor child, but under a non "public fund" catagory, I cannot claim either child benefit or tax credit.
But...
If I(we) are living with a UK citizen and he helps to support us, can he?
thanks.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

Re: child benefit, tax credit
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 09:00:39 PM »
No.  He can only claim persons on ILR, UK nationals, or EU/EEA nationals.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 09:09:09 PM »
Ok. Just curious. Thanks.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 09:14:52 PM »
Well unless things have changed....Frank filed child benefit for both my two American sons shortly after we were married. We didnt have our ILR stamps at that time. Im positive about this.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 09:28:48 PM »
Well unless things have changed....Frank filed child benefit for both my two American sons shortly after we were married. We didnt have our ILR stamps at that time. Im positive about this.

The new application form clearly asks for the child's nationality.  The DWP's website is also very clear that a claimant cannot file on a non-permanent resident or non-UK national.

They may approve the application, but it's in violation of your visa to receive public funds.  At all.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 09:29:59 PM »
I think hubby claimed these benefits because he was supporting a child (as is his right as a UK citizen).
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 10:01:32 PM »
I think hubby claimed these benefits because he was supporting a child (as is his right as a UK citizen).

It is indeed the right of all UK citizens to claim child benefit or tax credits - on permanent residents, UK nationals, or EU/EEA nationals.  My husband claimed it on our British child b/c I was not on ILR and did not wish to jeopardise my stay in the UK.  No recourse to public funds means just that.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/#c

In another area for US expats, a poster was in receipt of these two public funds despite being on a visa which did not allow recourse to public funds.  He was found out and deported. 

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 10:58:59 PM »
The child benefit is not worth it to chance to me. But I though the tax benefit might help my Beloved. But I don't have any intention of claiming anything until I get that citizenship.
By that time, my kid will be out of the house anyway! So it's a mute point.

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 11:01:23 PM »
The child benefit is not worth it to chance to me. But I though the tax benefit might help my Beloved. But I don't have any intention of claiming anything until I get that citizenship.
By that time, my kid will be out of the house anyway! So it's a mute point.

You don't need citizenship, just ILR - unless you are an EU or EEA national, then you can claim or be claimed. 

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 07:57:27 AM »
Yes thats right. Frank spoke to somene about this before he applied. At the time the children and I were not allowed public funds but since Frank was supporting children and he is a UK citizen then he is entitled to claim. The children werent collecting public funds...Frank was.
Im going to do some reading now. Quite possible things have changed. It has been a few years since Frank applied. I do remember he did have to send in the kids passports though so they knew the kids didnt have ILR yet.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 08:08:11 AM »
I remember hubby calling to get verification that he could do this, but like Pebbles, we did this years ago and the rules may very well have changed by now.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 08:27:09 PM »
I wrote to them before applying for tax credits in 2003 so that I'd have a written response for our records.  I was informed in no uncertain terms that the child needed to be a UK national, on ILR, or EU/EEA national.  The website states this as well.  Luckily, I got ILR the same month I started my job and DH became a stay at home father.  DH claimed child benefit on Aillidh, however, right after she was born in June.

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2005, 07:08:30 AM »
I wrote to them before applying for tax credits in 2003 so that I'd have a written response for our records.  I was informed in no uncertain terms that the child needed to be a UK national, on ILR, or EU/EEA national.  The website states this as well.  Luckily, I got ILR the same month I started my job and DH became a stay at home father.  DH claimed child benefit on Aillidh, however, right after she was born in June.
Thats good to know for the new folks. Its definitely a change since Frank applied in 2001.

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2005, 09:14:53 PM »
Thats good to know for the new folks. Its definitely a change since Frank applied in 2001.

It's always a good idea to check the DWP website for the rules and write them for confirmation.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab