Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The UK Embassy in New York - is it easy to get to?  (Read 956 times)

• Wedding Treasures
  • Liked: 0
The UK Embassy in New York - is it easy to get to?
« on: May 18, 2005, 07:06:22 PM »
I am just about to make an appointment for my DH's sposal visa (gulps) in New York. 

Everywhere we seem to go, we get lost  :-[ lol..... so does anybody know if its quite easy to get to the Embassy in NY?  We will be travelling by car from PA - think it will take us about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to get there.

Any help in looking out for key landmarks to would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Pauline :)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
Re: The UK Embassy in New York - is it easy to get to?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 07:27:50 PM »
Will you be driving directly to the embassy (meaning parking as close to the embassy as you can), or will you be staying at a hotel?

The reason I am asking is that in New York it is easier to get around on foot or by public transportation than by car, so if you are staying at a hotel, you are better off leaving the car at the hotel.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 07:33:52 PM »
Hi Pauline,

Well I'm glad to see another VJ member here who has decided to go back to the UK! James and I will be going for my settlement visa in early June.

As for the consulate, it's easy to find. It's 845 Third Ave b/t 51st and 52nd. As for landmarks, it's near the UN and just a few blocks northeast of Grand Central. Third Ave goes in the uptown direction. 51st goes west, 52nd goes east. I don't drive, so I don't know about coming in from outside the city, but I hope this helps a bit.

Good luck on moving back. I'm so excited!

Alexis

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 07:36:35 PM »
a suggestion - take the bieber bus! It's cheaper than driving and quite convenient. That's what I am doing in June for my appt.

http://www.biebertourways.com/

And much safer for you car!
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

• Wedding Treasures
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 10:43:41 PM »
Thanks for all your info :D

We will be not be staying at a hotel - can't afford those prices for a start, lol, and Wyatt can't travel long distance by bus, the smell of the diesel makes him sick :( - so the plan is to drive up. 

Ideally would be to park the car somewhere and maybe take a short bus trip into New York.  Or if anybody knows of a car park that would be easy to get to.

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 01:02:54 AM »
You can park on Staten Island, near the ferry in a secured parking lot for the day for $6 {much cheaper then lots in NYC!} and then take the free 30-minute ferry ride to downtown NYC.  From there, walk a few minutes north to the "Bowling Green" 4/5 subway stop and take that all the way up to the Grand Central Station/42nd Street stop. Walk east to 3rd Ave and north on 3rd- its between 51st & 52nd.

I recommend Google Maps for directions from your home to the Staten Island Ferry terminal {the address is 1 Bay Street, Staten Island NY, 10301.}
http://maps.google.com/maps
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 06:37:50 PM »
depending on what part of pa your traveling from you can either drive to trenton and take a NJ transit right in to penn station (takes a little over an hour) or you can drive to newark or hoboken which is even closer and should take about 15 minutes. from penn station its not too far. you can walk, take the subway or grab a taxi.

• Wedding Treasures
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 09:21:46 AM »
I've 'bumbed' this back up again because our plans have now changed and we are going to be taking the bus into New York on Tuesday.

Can anybody please give me direction from the Port Authority on 8th Ave and 41st please to the Embassy?

Our bus is due to get into the bus depot at 8.15am - appointment is at 11.15am but we plan to go for some breakfast to pass the time away.  We prefer to get there far earlier and take our time getting to the Embassy than having to rush there.

thanks.

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 11:20:05 AM »
I think the consulate is on 3rd Ave btw 51st and 52nd street.  Since you have plenty of time, you can walk from Port Authority to the consulate.  There will be plenty of delis on the way that would be open for breakfast.

bvamin

Sponsored Links