Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need transformer or converter for misc. computer stuff.  (Read 1017 times)

• Liked: 0
Need transformer or converter for misc. computer stuff.
« on: August 04, 2005, 06:53:46 PM »
Howdy Folks,

The movers come on monday. All the various chunks of the move are done by friday. So if I want to get a converter or transformer before I go, I gotta do it now!

So here is the deal. I am not going to bring any kitchen, TV or Stereo stuff... just going to get new there.

However, I do have a pretty good amount of computer stuff that I would rather not re-buy (color HP laser printer, HP Flat bed scanner, external HDs, etc.) So what I am wondering is, what is the best thing to get to power all this stuff?

I want something that will not eventually blow all my stuff up. Its fine if it takes its own life rather than the life of the stuff plugged into it.

Any suggestions on what I should get? I have a few links to stuff I have seen posted elsewhere, but I thought giving my specific need might elicit more info.

Thanks,
R
"Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat" - T. Roosevelt, 1899

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
Re: Need transformer or converter for misc. computer stuff.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 12:42:33 PM »
Some of your existing equipment might be suitable for running on 240V already, although anything with a separate "wall wart" power unit will be 120V only.  You could try to replace just those power supplies if everything else will run on 240.

Assuming that at least a fair amount of the equipment is 120V-only though, the easiest solution is probably just to run the whole lot via a suitable transformer.

You can buy ready made units which will just plug into a British outlet and provide a standard American 120V receptacle into which you can connect your U.S. power strips (bring a couple with you).

Try the units at the bottom of this page as an example:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Transformer_Index/USA_110volt_Convertor_Transformer/index.html

You'll need to calculate the maximum power of your equipment to work out which size transformer.  Assuming everything you have is fairly modern, the laser printer will probably be the most power-hungry device in your list.   

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 12:56:00 PM »
With most computer equipment it is designed to run on either US or UK current so all you need to do is replace the powercord.  With some desktop computers you have to flip a switch on the back of the computer.  Cords are fairly inexpensive, about 8 GBP.  I bought several for my monitors and my LCD TV at Curry's. 

If you buy voltage converters be very, very careful because quite a few are not for continual usage.  Typically the small ones that plug into the wall are occasional use only.  So that means they aren't suitable for most electronics like your TV, clock, VCR, and such but suitable for hair dryers, toasters and such.

Also if you are buying plug converters, look for the ones that support the US 2 pin grounded plugs. (The plug that has one wide pin and one narrow pin.)  You can usually tell the ones that don't support the 2 pin grounded plug because it has a lip around the whole thing that prevents larger style plugs.

Nothing good ever comes from a bad attitude.

• Banned

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 11:33:40 AM »
Most PCs have a power supply which will run on 120 or 240, but monitors are less consistent.  Some will run on either with no change (other than power cord). 

The separate power units found for many scanners, printers, and other peripherals are often not multiple-voltage though, so unless you replace those you'll still need a transformer. 

If you buy voltage converters be very, very careful because quite a few are not for continual usage.  Typically the small ones that plug into the wall are occasional use only. 

I wouldn't even bother with those.  Almost all of them are poorly rated, and for little extra it costs, you might as well buy a decent free-standing unit with spare capacity. 

The typical wall-type 100VA types wouldn't be anywhere near enough to run a full computer system with peripherals anyway.

Also if you are buying plug converters, look for the ones that support the US 2 pin grounded plugs. (The plug that has one wide pin and one narrow pin.) 

That's a polarized plug, not a grounded plug.  A grounding-type plug is one which has the round or U-shaped third prong.

Cords are fairly inexpensive, about 8 GBP. 

Where have you been buying them?    :o    About £2 each is more like it.

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 03:05:04 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I had wanted to buy these transformers in the US and have them shipped over with our belongings. Time did not allow for this.

Right now, I have a link to one place in the UK to get these, can anyone suggest other places to get them.

Also, I had originally gotten the advice to buy my transformers in the US on this board. I never got an explanation of the reason.

I have relatives who can ship the transformers to me in the UK and I will be back here in the US in a month or so. If the reasons are good enough, I could still get my transformers here in the US.

Thanks,
R
(Just three days till we head out to London!)
"Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat" - T. Roosevelt, 1899

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 05:13:31 PM »
The only specific reason I can think of for buying in America rather than here is the general one that most equipment is a little cheaper in the States.   

The transformers you buy in the U.S. might not come with a British plug fitted, but it's easy enough to change once you get here.
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

Sponsored Links