Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Am I understanding this correct  (Read 1021 times)

• Liked: 0
Am I understanding this correct
« on: December 29, 2005, 02:44:32 PM »
Am I understanding this correct.
Once you have been approved for UN-Married Visa the passport is stamped with FLR and after 2 years in the UK you can apply for ILR.
Is it true if you have been in a relationship for 4 or more years you could get the ILR right away by pass the FLR.

Re: Am I understanding this correct
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 07:55:30 AM »
Hi!  I arrived in the UK in Sept 2002 and have now lived in the UK for three years and three months, after marrying my hubby who is British.  I applied for my ILR in September 2005, when my Leave To Remain Visa (valid for two years) was due to expire.  You aren't eligible for ILR until you have physically lived in the UK for three years.  That is going on the assumption that you are married to a British citizen.  Don't know about your second question.  Good luck and hope this helps.  It's all so confusing, I know!

Lisa

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 08:08:52 AM »
Am I understanding this correct.
Once you have been approved for UN-Married Visa the passport is stamped with FLR and after 2 years in the UK you can apply for ILR.
Is it true if you have been in a relationship for 4 or more years you could get the ILR right away by pass the FLR.

Yes, this is basically correct, failing only in terminology.  The Home Office sponsors a concession where married couples or unmarried partners who have had a subsisting relationship for 4+ years can acquire ILE and do not have to endure the two year probationary time period.  Aside from some minor technicalities, ILE is the same as ILR.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 03:42:23 PM »
thanks

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 08:50:54 PM »
So, you can skip a step and move to the UK a little easier after 4 years of marriage. Does anyone know if there is anything similar for moving to the US? If my husband and I ever decide to move there, is it ever easier/less expensive after being married for a certain amount of time? I've been curious about this. Thanks

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 09:18:06 PM »
So, you can skip a step and move to the UK a little easier after 4 years of marriage. Does anyone know if there is anything similar for moving to the US? If my husband and I ever decide to move there, is it ever easier/less expensive after being married for a certain amount of time? I've been curious about this. Thanks

If you decide to move back to the US you can skip the conditional permanent residence if you've been married more than 2 years (if you've been married less than 2 years, they'll give you a conditional green card valid for two years, and you have to apply to remove the conditions when it expires- another long application, and more money!)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 10:06:02 PM »
Thanks, Rose. I've been wondering about it. :)

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 11:20:53 AM »
Yes, this is basically correct, failing only in terminology.  The Home Office sponsors a concession where married couples or unmarried partners who have had a subsisting relationship for 4+ years can acquire ILE and do not have to endure the two year probationary time period.  Aside from some minor technicalities, ILE is the same as ILR.

OK, I feel mighty stupid now...I thought all along that I have an ILR but it is an ILE...Garry, what are the minor technicalities?

• Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 11:37:30 AM »
E=enter (so is what you are issued from outside the UK)
R= remain (what you are issued within the UK)

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 11:46:04 AM »
ILR is issued by the Home Office, ILE is issued by the Foreign Office.  As a result, ILE has an expiry date.  And obviously ILE holders will use paragraph 18 at least once.  Plus a few others along those lines.  Minor technicalities and not really a big deal at all.  But it's important to be clear which is which because it causes confusion...

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 06:15:52 PM »
Thanls Garry
What do you mean by ( ILE holders will use paragraph 18 at least once.  Plus a few others along those line

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 01:15:16 PM »
ILR is issued by the Home Office, ILE is issued by the Foreign Office.  As a result, ILE has an expiry date.  And obviously ILE holders will use paragraph 18 at least once.  Plus a few others along those lines.  Minor technicalities and not really a big deal at all.  But it's important to be clear which is which because it causes confusion...

Now I'm more confused..my ILE does have an expiration date, but it is the same date as when my passport expires.  The ILE is effective from 6/05 and expires on 8/07.  I already knew that I would have to get another ILE to put into my new US passport since I would not have been over here for 3 years to qualify for citizenship. 
From what I can decipher it looks like they consider ILE/ILR to be one in the same.  I'm trying to find paragraph 18..Garry, can you provide more info or a link?

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 02:43:02 PM »
The link is the IND web site.  But I'm not understanding your concern.  If you've got ILE or ILR, you're fine.  How is it that you're confused?

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 09:24:25 PM »
Sorry, just me being paranoid over nothing...I'll check out the IND web site.

Sponsored Links