Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Keeping track of my shots and dr's records.  (Read 1014 times)

• Liked: 0
Keeping track of my shots and dr's records.
« on: March 01, 2006, 08:19:42 PM »
When I was in the UK last year, I had to get a few shots for when I went to Mexico. Now I'm back in the US, but I'm going to go back to the UK soon for a year (hopefully!) After than, year, I might have an opportunity to go to India or Africa and help with an orphanage. What is the best way to keep track of my medical records since I keep going back and forth between the UK and USA? Should I just request copies of everything for myself?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Keeping track of my shots and dr's records.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 08:47:37 PM »
I had my doctor in the US write a letter to my UK doctor, giving a short history and shot record.  Then my history was in both places. If you go back and forth, it's a good idea to have complete records/histories in both countries so ask your GP in the UK to write a letter or get copies of your records for your US doc.  :)
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 08:51:10 PM »
I'm having to get my tetnus shot again before I go to N.O.  (even though I just had it last year before I went to Mexico  ::) ) because I forgot to get a copy of it from the dr's in the UK.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 08:52:34 PM »
Tetanus isn't so bad.  The one that really, really sucks is the MMR.  It STINGS like b*tch.  I'm an old pro at shots due to years of allergy treatment so I wasn't prepared for it.  OMG I wanted to cry and I was 20!
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 08:54:06 PM »
When you got your shots done they should have given you a card or booklet with them listed and the dates they were done.  The idea is you keep that and next time you get shots done have them added to the card.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 08:58:23 PM »
I think I'm slightly paranoid about it. My family moved 8 times before I was 13, so  I spent quite a bit of time sorting out my records a couple of years ago. My mother never kept track of anything, so I had to figure out who I'd had for doctors and go back through and requst records. It was a major pain in the butt.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 09:30:56 PM »
When you got your shots done they should have given you a card or booklet with them listed and the dates they were done.  The idea is you keep that and next time you get shots done have them added to the card.

commonly called the "WHO" card... World Health Organization... or yellow card... size of your passport in the US. If you do end up going abroad, many countries like to see a Yellow Fever immunization record and this is the same card they put it in. I've seen other sorts of cards for other countries, but it is yellow in the US.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 01:59:30 AM »
Do you know if I can get that from the health department? Or would I actually have to go to my doctor to get it?

• Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 07:39:10 AM »
Whoever gives you your jabs should give it to you.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 09:02:00 AM »
Tetanus isn't so bad.  The one that really, really sucks is the MMR.  OMG I wanted to cry and I was 20!

No doubt!  I had to have it twice.  I had it once as a kid.  Then, the year before I started uni, there was this huge outbreak of measles on campus, even though vaccination was mandatory before matriculation.  So that's when they twigged that two doses were needed in childhood.  And all the new freshers had to show proof of a second dose, so I had to have it again at 18 and man it wasn't nice.  It had nothing on this anti-emetic I had to have when I was 13 weeks pregnant, though, and was throwing up blood from a virus.  Even the nurse said, 'This one's bad b/c it hurts just as much coming out as going in.'  Thanks for the warning.  My hip was sore for days.

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 09:39:49 PM »
Do you know if I can get that from the health department? Or would I actually have to go to my doctor to get it?

I went to the travel clinic at school when I needed my travel shots and the nurse just gave it to me. If it is just a doctor, you may have to confirm in advance that you want a WHO book so they have it handy and can fill it out ASAP.

I had MMR again as an adult. My mom recommended it because the MMR I got as a kid in the 70s wasn't a full dose. I don't remember the location being the hip though. Yellow Fever certainly gives you a sore arm for days!!

Sponsored Links