Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: European Health Insurance Card  (Read 2038 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: European Health Insurance Card
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 02:33:41 PM »
That said: I had the misfortune of having to use my card last week and it was worthless in my situation.

That's a bummer! Keep us posted on whether or not you can get reimbursed.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
Re: European Health Insurance Card
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 02:44:13 PM »
Just to clarify: you do NOT need to be a citizen of an EU country to have the EHIC card. You only need be a resident.

That said: I had the misfortune of having to use my card last week and it was worthless in my situation. I broke my collarbone during a ski holiday in Italy last Wednesday. I had to go to a private doctor, who would NOT accept the EHIC card. I had to pay him out-of-pocket (230 Euros including emergency room visit, xrays and drugs).  When I returned to London, I tried to get reimbursed through the EHIC but was told I needed to have picked up certain Italian reimbursement documents that could only be obtained IN PERSON from the local health office in Italy.   And even if I had the documents, I was told I would only get back 50%. (The EHIC card gives you free or reduced health care. Obviously in Italy, it's only reduced care).

So: I have now submitted my paperwork to my travel insurance company, Insure And Go.  Stay tuned!

That is why as a travel agent I always always to clients... check to see the condition of your insurance...what it covers in the area or the type of sports you are going to.....

credit card insurance doesn't always cover EVERY aspect of travel either...

Sponsored Links