Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NYC Consulate Phone Interview ?s  (Read 696 times)

NYC Consulate Phone Interview ?s
« on: March 03, 2007, 02:06:08 AM »
Hello all! I am new to this site, freshly signed up. Just happy to know that I am not alone out there anymore. So here's my situation and if anyone can help or give me advice would be greatly appreciated...

This Wednesday I have a phone interview w/ the nyc consulate for a family visitor visa to be w/ my husband. We want to settle in the US and are applying for his visa over here and I want to be able to stay with him until that happens. I understand the UKs main concern is for me to prove that I dont have intentions of settling. If anyones been through this interview or similar can you let me know what I can expect?

Many thanks ; )

On a sidenote, to add to the story after marrying I also flew over into the Manchester Airport where I was refused entrance into the country. Before we were married I did some research and anytime I clicked on links relating to fiances and spouses for visas it always directed me towards the settlement visa and I never found any about visiting. So in stupidity and a lack of information when I was questioned by the immigration officer I told her I was on holiday visiting a friend (thinking if I told the truth I'd be denied entrance anyway...stupid i know). So yes I got detained, fingerprinted, deported, etc, but allowed to visit w/ him for 3 days. It took me to fly all the way over to be directed towards the right information. I am just hoping that this mishap will not effect my application.

Re: NYC Consulate Phone Interview ?s
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 03:44:43 AM »
and anytime I clicked on links relating to fiances and spouses for visas it always directed me towards the settlement visa and I never found any about visiting. So in stupidity and a lack of information when I was questioned by the immigration officer I told her I was on holiday visiting a friend (thinking if I told the truth I'd be denied entrance anyway...stupid i know). So yes I got detained, fingerprinted, deported, etc, but allowed to visit w/ him for 3 days. It took me to fly all the way over to be directed towards the right information. I am just hoping that this mishap will not effect my application.

You arrived as a family visitor and were bounced? 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 12:58:30 PM by garry »

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 06:42:27 PM »
Garry, I am surprised you find this surprising...

Will it hurt your visa?  Possibly.  Were you married at the time you tried to enter, or had you not been married yet?  They are going to be concerned if you are being honest.  Where did you get married and how long have you been married?  I would think that the ECO that will be doing the interview will be wanting to know a) that you are now being totally honest and b) you and your husband have enough money to support you while you are in the UK and that you have a place to live.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 01:54:55 PM »
we had gotten married in the usa just a few days before i arrived. i told them i was on holiday visiting friends bc i was under the impression that i'd be denied entrance automatically (because at the time i didnt know a family visitor visa was what i needed to come see him) The only information i could find before directed me to the settlement visa.

i have nothing to hide from them i'm just a normal 26yr old american girl who made an unfortunate mistake.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 03:52:03 PM »
Puzzling.  The Family Visitor attracts appeal rights which can be exercised in-country if the applicant is a non-visa national.  You arrived as a Family Visitor, but then opted not to disclose it and attempt landing as a visitor instead.  Because of that you forfeited your right to appeal and got bounced.

If I got it right, your intentions were lawful, but your strategy was rooted in not knowing the difference between a visitor and a Family Visitor.  This would be because for non-visa nationals, the Family Visitor is not relied upon as much as it is for visa nationals and so there is a lot less information about it.  I am surprised they didn't allow at least a TA  despite your having initially mislead them.  They changed the TA rules in November, so there might be confusion about that at the ports.  I hope you checked the box on your VAF1.

If they bring it up in your interview, you would probably stress that your intentions were lawful and you met all of the other criteria; and since the information about Family Visitors for non-visa nationals is so scarce, you were unsure about how to frame it and made a judgement error.  And since then you have taken steps to learn about Family Visitors - it would be important to add that point.  My sig line has a link for US visitors.

If they don't bring it up, then I wouldn't go introducing the topic. 

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 06:01:25 PM »
oh i did forget to mention that yes they did allow me to temporarily stay with my husband for three days.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 09:36:57 PM »
oh i did forget to mention that yes they did allow me to temporarily stay with my husband for three days.

Sorry.  Missed this part.  You'll be fine.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 02:45:42 PM »
They probably gave you 3 days temporary Admission, whih is an indication that tehy didn't think you'd run off.

I think you will be fine too, especially if you prove the intention to settle int he US>

Vicky

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab