Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: work visa ends...when can i come back as a visitor  (Read 851 times)

• Liked: 0
work visa ends...when can i come back as a visitor
« on: September 26, 2008, 07:52:13 PM »
hi there
my UK work visa has expired so im leaving the UK.
How soon can I come back in as a tourist?

Do they have me in their computer system has having a work visa?

Re: work visa ends...when can i come back as a visitor
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 08:03:16 PM »
Do they have me in their computer system has having a work visa?

Indeed they do, all visas are effectively in two places .... in the passport and in the UKBA computer system!

How soon can I come back in as a tourist?

How soon as you thinking of coming back as a tourist? They is no minimum that someone can look up, but make it too soon and the suspicions of the Immigration Officer at teh Port of Entry might be raised. Simply, how would you show that you are merely coming as a visitor and not intending to work again?

John

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 08:14:42 PM »
Why can't you enter like any other tourist - with a return ticket? I am leaving in November but I hope to come back soon and hope I wouldn't have a problem.

• Banned

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:38:05 PM »
When did the visa expire, and what nationality are you?

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 07:24:59 PM »
hey thanks All
My visa expired in July, but was extended as i applied... unsuccessfully.... for a Tier 1 permit.
So im tryin to get back in Mid October. maybe its too soon?

should i show a ticket back to the USA in January? that may appease them a bit.
what can happen if they wont let me in the UK? Can i go to Europe?

Im American also.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 07:42:50 PM by cwspy »

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 08:02:17 PM »
Take note that HC321 activates at midnight next Tuesday.

• My blog!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »
BTW, HC321 - 10 Year Ban for Overstaying...

If things haven't changed too dramatically as far as visitor visas over the past 12 months, it is generally accepted that attempting to spend > 6 months in any 12 month period means to UK Borders you are not a visitor.  You have to seriously consider if you are visiting or just attempting to circumvent the rules.  They are likely to take note of your expired Visa and potentially your failed Teir 1 application and really question your intent to be a visitor.

Europe is Europe and each country has its own immigration rules for non EU citizens.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Banned

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 03:11:05 PM »
BTW, HC321 - 10 Year Ban for Overstaying...

It's not quite that straight forward!

Also, if you have been working in the UK and want to return to holiday, as you didn;t get the opportunity before, that is quite reasonable.

If in doubt, apply for a visa.

Vicky

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 07:29:05 PM »
yeah how does that 10 year ban apply to me? Im in America. surely i can return as a tourist even tho iv worked in the UK before? seems strange otherwise.

so Im not in UK anymore and want to return as a tourist about 4-5 months after I left, and ill have a return a ticket. I work for web design contacts in USA and in Europe. Cant say where il be working when im travelling but I wont say anything about that at the border...ofcourse!

• My blog!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 10:50:34 PM »
10 year ban is for those who overstay their visas and get caught.  What Gary's point was, was to be careful and not overstay a visa otherwise the hammer will come down on you.

Coming back as a tourist for 4-5 months after you finished on a work visa is reasonable, but it really depends on long you are coming back for and with a failed T1, they may wonder more why you are coming back and if you are trying to "sneak" in as a visitor when you actually want to stay.  If you are coming back for a few weeks for a vacation, no problem.  If you are coming back and your return tickets is 4-6 months later, they are going to wonder.  They will then want to know how you will support yourself, where you are going to stay, make you try and prove what sort of funds you have access to and potentially try to prove that you aren't a visitor in their minds.

When in doubt, there is nothing wrong or negative with applying for a visitors visa especially if you plan to return as a visitor for an extended period of time.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 03:27:10 AM »
When my work visa expired, I went to France for a day and when I came back through I was stamped in as a visitor. No real problems because I had a return ticket booked and was planning to stay for another month. The immigration officer obviously had no idea what she was doing and tried to tell me I was coming back too early - I still had one more day on my work visa. But she was wrong, was promptly told so, and let me back in with no problems. Hope that sort of answers the question.

Sponsored Links