Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do you think he'll have any problems?  (Read 557 times)

• Liked: 0
Do you think he'll have any problems?
« on: October 05, 2008, 07:44:47 PM »
Hello, don't know if this is in the right forum or not, but -

My fiance (UK citizen) is coming to the US to visit me for the first time (also his first visit to the US in general). I've been to the UK to visit him twice before, once for a month, the other for three months.

He's 24, and he's coming later this month and staying for a full month. He'll fly into Philadelphia from England and then flying to Houston where I am. He has a return ticket and we're going to try to get him a letter from work saying when he's expected back in. He'll bring around $900, give or take, and $350 of that will already be in cash when he gets to immigration.

I don't think he'll have a problem, but I'm just trying not to miss anything out. He's going to say he's visiting his girlfriend (figure it'll sound a bit better than fiance... and we aren't going to try to get married here at all yet, anyway), which was fine in the UK this summer when I said I'd be visiting my boyfriend (granted he was my boyfriend and not fiance yet at that time... only got three questions off the IO and he let me in!).

I go to uni so I'm up here at my apartment all the time. He'll be staying with me here during the week and we'll be at my parents' house on the weekends so he will have a chance to be around them more. I figure when he gives the IO the address he'll be staying at, he should just use my parents' instead of my apartment. Maybe it looks better that way?

Any thoughts? Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Also, I'm not keen on him lying and saying "just visiting friends" when he comes through. We're already cutting the fiance to girlfriend, so yeah....

• Tam
  • Girl Friday

Re: Do you think he'll have any problems?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 08:29:36 PM »
He should always tell the truth, only answer the question asked of him and bring plenty of proof of his intention to return to the UK after his visit.

Don't volunteer information and don't lie. Those are your basic rules.

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 09:14:19 PM »
I second the not lying part. 

He should tell them he's visiting his fiancee. Since you're not planning on getting married while he's visiting, I don't see where the problem would be since the visit isn't for the purpose of getting married.
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 02:16:58 AM »
A letter from his employer and a return ticket (or proof on itinerary) should be enough to confirm his plans to return home. Don't try to water things down by saying girlfriend instead of fiancee. You ARE his fiancee, so he should say just that. Also, if he will be staying with you a majority of the time, he should give your address.

Keep in mind, if/when you DO get married, these answers can come back to haunt you if given differently than you remember.

Tell the truth and keep the answers short and concise.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 02:49:17 AM »
He should definitely just give your address. Doesn't really matter as long as he gives SOME address. When my boyfriend came over last month he said "visiting my girlfriend." They did ask him how we met, a couple of questions like that, but no big deal.
He'll be fine!

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 06:50:52 PM »
Thanks for the help, people. I appreciate it!

Sponsored Links