Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US citizen looking for detailed info on finace visa  (Read 757 times)

• Liked: 0
US citizen looking for detailed info on finace visa
« on: January 06, 2009, 09:31:54 PM »
I am a US citizen living in Alabama. I just recently became engaged and my finace (UK Citizen) and I are planning on residing in England. I am not sure exactly how to get started. So far all I know is that I need to submit a fiance visa with supporting documents to a UK Consulate. Does anyone know where to find this application? What the supporting documents are? Which is the best/fastest processing Consulate to go through? How long the process may take start to finish? Is there any need for me to contact an US attorney at this point?

Any info is much appreciated!

Ashley

• Liked: 2
Re: US citizen looking for detailed info on finace visa
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 09:48:51 PM »
Allow me to recommend garry's site, Transpondia. Nice, easy-to-follow checklist. Helped me out immensely.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 10:08:11 PM »
And don't contact a US attorney, as they practice US law, not UK law!

Vicky

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 01:42:00 AM »
Does anyone know where to find this application?

http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/ApplyNow.aspx

What the supporting documents are?

I would second using the link to Garry's site. VERY thorough and helpful, as is Garry.  ;D And make sure the supporting documents are originals (as far as passports/bank statements)

Which is the best/fastest processing Consulate to go through?

You apply according to the consulate you are assigned based on the state in which you reside. I read in another post (and someone correct me if I am mistaken) that Alabama is assigned to the LA consulate, but when you apply online it should tell you where to mail in your completed application and supporting documents. Make sure you check, because I think NY has redirected some of their volume.

How long the process may take start to finish?

Most on here would suggest applying 2-3 months before you INTEND on traveling. It could take anywhere from 20 working days on, depending how many visa applications the particular consulate is inundated with. **DO NOT MAKE TRAVEL PLANS UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED AND HAVE YOUR PASSPORT RETURNED** You can also apply through a courier, which will cost more, but your application takes priority over regular postal applications, so you tend to get an answer faster. Depends on how much extra dosh you can spare.

Is there any need for me to contact an US attorney at this point?

As Vicky said, US attorneys aren't needed. There are people available for services like checking your documents (like Vicky <-- also awesome  ;D) if your case isn't straightforward. But it depends on your situation if it's really necessary. Have either of you been married before or are there kids involved, or any previous visa/entry refusals, etc.

All in all, it's a pretty simple process once you know what to send. Many people make it quite difficult, myself included, by freaking out or being impatient. But this site is fabulous and VERY helpful, IMO.

Good luck! xx

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:14:25 AM by LoveMyBrit »
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 11:34:12 AM »
It depends on a number of factors:
Are you getting married in the UK or the US?
When are you planning to enter the UK, before or after the wedding?
Are you planning to settle in the UK after the wedding?

My husband is American and we got married in the UK so he needed the Fiance Visa so he could enter the UK before the wedding. He entered the UK 6 weeks before the wedding (he'd been to visit before) and we were told there was no way he could enter the UK without one as his intention was to come and settle here. (Also note - the Fiance Visa is valid for 6 months but you are not allowed to work until your Spouse Visa has come through. After we were married, my husband applied for the Spouse Visa and it took 1-2months to come through so he was still unable to work).

When you apply for the Fiance Visa they ask for alot of information from you (www.ukvisas.gov.uk [nofollow] )

If you are getting married in the US then you won't need the Fiance Visa as you won't be entering the country as a 'fiance'.

We came upon some difficulties with regards to a honeymoon. We wanted to leave the UK straight after the wedding but this proved way too complicated so we honeymooned in the UK instead.

Hope you can get it all figured out!! Good luck.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab