Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Specifics re: Manx partner, NI number, previous visas for spousal app  (Read 1066 times)

• Liked: 0
De-lurking again, sorry! You'll probably be hearing a lot more from me since our wedding is three and a half weeks away! I've been doing some "practice" versions of the visa application to see what sort of questions would come up, and I have several.

Question 6.4: Have you been granted any UK visas in the last 10 years?

I have--I was in the UK from 2005-2006 under a student visa. It says to provide details, including a reference number. I am assuming this is some sort of number on the actual sticker?

Question 6.8 Do you have a National Insurance Number?

While I was a student at Leeds, I was awarded a part-time job which also granted me a bursary. (It was like a work experience scholarship kind of thing.) So I was advised to get an NI number. Should I just write down what I've told you here? Also, as it's been over four years since I got that card, I am concerned that I may not be able to find it at my parents' house. I tend to assume Worst Case Scenario, so if I can't find my NI card, how do I go about finding what my number is from over here?

Question 8.2.5 Sponsor's place and country of birth

My fiance was born on the Isle of Man, but has been living in Surrey for the past two years now. Hence he has a Manx passport, which is *slightly* different from the British one. However, the passport does say that he is a British Citizen. What do I put down for his nationality? Manx or British? The guidelines for the form say that I should put his birthdate down as the "arrival" date in the UK for him but technically the IOM is not part of the UK. I'm assuming I'm being overzealous in terms of detail and should just put his birthday? :)

Question 8.6.7 asks if I intend to work in the UK. I do.

The application asks that I "give details." What sort of details are they looking for? I've actually started job-hunting as it is (and have explained my marriage/visa timeline to prospective employers). I have received some positive, encouraging responses to submit my application for the positions being advertised. Unfortunately they're just emails. Should I include them? I'm so lost as to what they want in regards to this question. Thanks to my age, salary and my UK Masters, I do meet the qualifications for Tier 1 General and would like to highlight this in my app to prove my employability. With my fiance's current salary we are "in the red" by about 100 pounds (as in, going from his income alone) thanks to my student loans, but we would be able to live on his salary and (significant) savings alone for over two years, with me not working at all. The fact that we're in the red and in a recession makes me a bit nervous even if I am highly employable on paper.

Also, as stupid as it sounds, what is my main purpose of the application? Do I just write "To join my husband?"

*sigh* Applying for the student visa was 12x easier!!! :(

I'm also not sure if we still have a copy of my original birth certificate. I can get a certified copy from the county courthouse, but the UKVisas website says it must be original. Help!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 11:53:03 PM by almariel »

• Liked: 1
Re: Specifics re: Manx partner, NI number, previous visas for spousal app
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 11:54:22 PM »
I can answer the easiest part about the Birth Certificate.  A certified copy obtained from the county of your birth (with the official seal on it) will be just fine. 

Assuming your will be applying for a spousal visa post-wedding, then yes, the purpose of your application is to settle in the UK with your husband.

Good luck!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 11:56:13 PM »
You don't need your birth certificate.

Purpose is 'settlement'.

Your partner is British. Just put his birthday.

Deatils can be printouts, this will help if finances are tights.  Otherwise a few words will do: "I intend to continue my career as a brain surgeon"

If you can't find anything with an NI number, say that you used to have one, but don't worry.

Ditto the student visa.

Vicky

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 11:57:46 PM »
Thank you so much, Vicky and Mirra! I feel like in any other case these questions would be so self-explanatory, but when it's my life on the line I feel like I need to check everything in triplicate! :)

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 02:29:13 PM »
While I was a student at Leeds, I was awarded a part-time job which also granted me a bursary. (It was like a work experience scholarship kind of thing.) So I was advised to get an NI number. Should I just write down what I've told you here? Also, as it's been over four years since I got that card, I am concerned that I may not be able to find it at my parents' house. I tend to assume Worst Case Scenario, so if I can't find my NI card, how do I go about finding what my number is from over here?

If you can't find the actual NI card, do you have any payslips from that time? Such payslips may well have the NI number quoted on them. Or the form P45 handed to you when you left an employment, that should also have the NI number.

Needless to say, a NI number is issued for life, and when you return to the UK and start working, your NI contributions will get credited to the same NI account for you as previously.
John

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 03:19:59 PM »
I was never given a P45, nor do I have payslips. I was the first student to be awarded this position, and they ended realizing that I shouldn't be taxed on what was a bursary that went towards my fees. They realized after the fact that my getting an NI number was unnecessary, but the fact of the matter is I have one now.

Here's more info on the position.

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/ims/news/bibbursary2009_10.htm

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
I asked my partner, whose job involves NI numbers more than he would like, and he says it's going to be difficult to get the NINO if you're out of the country, because they're getting tight on security.  (Cue jokes about finding out your NINO by picking up a laptop some civil servant left on a train....)

Possibly you could do it by sending notarized copies of your ID to your most recent tax office.  However, it doesn't sound as if this is really needed, if Vicky is saying not to worry about it.  :)

I did find this:
http://www.worksmart.org.uk/rights/i_have_lost_my_national_insurance_number

And it says you'd need an interview!

I'd say look for the card...alternately, would it be possible to get in touch with your previous employer?

• Banned

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 03:34:27 PM »
I am forever losing my NI number.  Lost the little card years ago, so I just call up, give them some personal details, they send me a form, I fill it in and they send me the number.  No interview.  But a pain from the US when you don't really need it.  Just make sure you don't make them think you are hiding it...tell them you had one but can't remember it.

Vicky

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 03:44:32 PM »
A slightly more useful link:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/BeginnersGuideToBenefits/DG_10014073

Though all it really says is 'check your payslips, and if you still can't find it, talk to your local JobCentre.'  Which is pretty much what this thread says.  :D

Vicky: write it on a Post-It already!  :)  Though I shouldn't talk; I worked for the same employer for four years and I could never remember my employee number, even though it was a pretty easy number.

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 04:22:15 PM »
I am forever losing my NI number.  Lost the little card years ago, so I just call up, give them some personal details, they send me a form, I fill it in and they send me the number.  No interview.  But a pain from the US when you don't really need it.  Just make sure you don't make them think you are hiding it...tell them you had one but can't remember it.

Vicky

I'm going to have to ask Steve if he actually has the card, I'm curious :) He knows it by heart, he can rattle it off if he needs to, but it's been quite a few years since it was issued (I'm sure), so now I'll ask when he gets in.
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 07:44:28 PM »
I can never remember my NI number and I have lived here for 6 years. The sad thing is that my wife has actually memorized it for me.
"They call me the hiphopopotamus, my lyrics are bottomless!"

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 11:09:41 PM »
  Just make sure you don't make them think you are hiding it...tell them you had one but can't remember it.

Should I just tick yes that I had one and explain my situation in additional notes somewhere?

(Watch me be able to find it back at my parents' house, heh--of course that's 300 miles from here at the moment!)

• Banned

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 12:04:30 AM »
Should I just tick yes that I had one and explain my situation in additional notes somewhere?

Yes.

Vicky

• From Texas to Yorkshire
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 11:37:59 AM »
They're not going to refuse an application because you lost your card :).  When you get to the UK, you can fill in the form to get your number sent to you and then it'll all be sorted.
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

Sponsored Links