Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Changing from my work permit visa to partner's work permit dependent  (Read 374 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello,

I am currently here on a work permit visa and have been since 2006.  I still have my job, but I'm thinking about moving to be a dependent on my husband's work permit because it will give me flexibility in seeking employment and the ability to do some consulting work as self-employed, which I understand that I cannot do as a employer sponsored work permit holder.

I have been told I have to return to my home country in order to apply to be his work permit dependent.  Has this always been the case?  I also want to confirm that in the (unlikely) event I am refused the work permit dependent visa, that I would keep my current visa?  I'd hate to go do this and then for some reason not be able to return here, especially given I still have my job.

All of this is being done primarily so I can do small amounts of consulting (self-employment work).  Is there any other way anyone would know of that I could do self-employment work without changing my current visa status?  What if it were just a one-time self-employment contract totaling less than GBP 4,000?  Anything else I should be taking into consideration when thinking this through?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Changing from my work permit visa to partner's work permit dependent
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 10:37:51 AM »
You can take supplementary work but not self employed.

If you want to switch to being a dependent you'd have to go home.

If you were refused you wouldn't lose your current status.

Vicky

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab