Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: So difficult to do the right thing?  (Read 1034 times)

• Love in the shadow of Big Ben!
  • Liked: 0
So difficult to do the right thing?
« on: January 09, 2010, 02:17:53 AM »
I unfortunately don't know the whole situation, but I'm watching Larry King interview Richard Heene - the father of the Balloon Boy from earlier this year - and apparently, the authorities have threatened to deport his wife, Mayumi, because she's not in the States legally....

WTF?

I don't want to sound like a typical xenophobic American - that's the exact opposite of my beliefs - but it's infuriating that this couple has been getting away with shirking the law for who knows how long, veritably flaunting it in front of the entire country with their shenanigans, while there are tons of us here on this site trying to do the right thing to be with our loved ones. Perhaps I'm just a little too frustrated...but people like this really make me sad inside, because they're doing the WRONG thing and *still* manage to get paid, get publicity, and stay in the country.

All I want is a hug from my Sugar!

*pouts*
Feb 15, 2009 - Met Andy Online
April 11-18, 2009 - Andy Came to Chicago
Sept 14-28, 2009 - I Went to Leicester
Dec 22-30, 2009 - Andy Met My Folks For Christmas!
Mar 14-May 17, 2010 - My Extended Stay In Leicester
Sept 8-19, 2010 - Andy To Chicago (again!)

"We are stardust...we are golden...and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden..."

Re: So difficult to do the right thing?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 11:03:46 PM »
Well, I suppose unless someone actually looked into it, how would they know?

I think she was a stay at home mom, so no one would need to check it that way. 

But MAN they are dumb!  Yeah, natinal attention, even good attention, is not good if you are illegal.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 11:16:24 PM »
Well, I suppose unless someone actually looked into it, how would they know?

I think she was a stay at home mom, so no one would need to check it that way.

Yup, just come on on a tourist visa and as long as you don't have any further contact with the government they'd probably never find you. 

But MAN they are dumb!  Yeah, natinal attention, even good attention, is not good if you are illegal.

Totally agreed.  I already thought they were mind-numbingly stupid, and this just adds to it.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 09:45:28 AM »
Why was she in the US? Was she trying to escape poverty or oppression?

I agree that it was stupid to create national attention.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:47:07 AM by sweetpeach »

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:39:12 AM »
I haven't seen anything that suggests she is an illegal immigrant, apparently she has resident status.  I think in the US you can be deported if you commit a crime however.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 10:51:47 AM »
I haven't seen the Larry King interview and to be honest I haven't been following this case closely, so please do correct me if I have missed out on some important fact.  

My understanding is that Mayumi Heene *is* a legal immigrant to the US, and that she holds legal Permanent Resident status based on her marriage to a US citizen.  Further, because she has been in the US for so long, she would have been eligible for US citizenship a long time ago.  However, Japan is one of the few countries that does not allow adults to hold dual citizenship.  (For children it is OK until age 21, then they must decide which country they want to commit to for the rest of their lives, which some people consider to be a bit harsh.)  So for Mayumi, as for most Japanese immigrants to the US, US citizenship is not a viable option if she wants to retain the  right to move back to Japan (with or without her family), for example in case she needs to care for aging parents, or for any other reason such as becoming widowed or divorced or just missing good Japanese food.  Instead, she needs to be a US Permanent Resident forever.  How is this different from being a citizen?  The main difference is that she cannot vote, or run for public office.  Other than that, she has the same rights and responsibilities as an American citizen (paying taxes, etc).  

But there is one problem!  "Permanent Resident" status is NOT in fact permanent.  It can be lost or taken away at any time (unlike citizenship, which is generally only taken away in a case of treason or something like that, and only very rarely).  And there is a relatively recent law (within the last 20 years, I think) which says that a non-citizen convicted of a felony should be deported.  I remember seeing a case on TV some years ago about a woman, I think she was Irish, being issued with a deportation order because she had got in a fight with another woman and had been charged with assault, which is apparently a felony.  She had been living in the US since childhood, but had never bothered to become a citizen.  Big mistake on her part, but there you go.

So the issue is not that Mayumi is an illegal immigrant, because she isn't, the issue is that as a legal immigrant she can still be deported, or threatened with deportation.  Hence in the plea deal it was prudent for her husband to plead guilty in exchange for a promise that she would not be charged with anything.  In the worst case, she could have been deported, and their family torn apart.  It would be difficult to imagine the Japanese government issuing her husband with a spouse visa, if he had a felony conviction.  (But they would probably let her bring her children back to Japan, since they are not felons.)

Obviously, it would have been better for them not to get into this situation in the first place.  This is a cautionary tale for any bi-national family...stay out of trouble because the consequences could be far worse than you realize.  Seriously, if someone hits you, whatever you do don't hit back, because you could end up being deported.  And if your country allows dual citizenship, do at as soon as you are eligible, no matter how much it costs and how onerous the paperwork may be.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 11:17:22 AM by lanikai »

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 11:32:02 AM »
We had a case when I was in DC like this.

A woman from Canada had a shoplifting charge when she was a teen and didn't disclose it on her application for a visa because she didn't think to.  Then they found out when she applied for citizenship.  Oy what a mess.

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 12:19:59 PM »
Mr Heene will apparently do anything to get on TV, too.   ::)

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 12:28:19 PM »
I watched bits of that interview while at the airport. From what I can tell, she wasn't threatened deportation. He didn't say it flat out, but from what I heard, he wouldn't have been able to do her immigration paperwork while he was doing his 'time.'
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

Sponsored Links