Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: documents i will need for UK spouse visa  (Read 347 times)

• Liked: 0
documents i will need for UK spouse visa
« on: January 19, 2010, 12:56:39 PM »
I am new to this so I am sure that this question has been asked and answered alot! I am living in the US and my husband is back in Scotland after spending three weeks here over the holidays. We got married during that time and now I am getting everything around to make my application for a marriage visa. First of all, I am going to have to change my name on my passport so I will have to wait for that to come back. I'm ashamed to admit, it hadn't even crossed my mind until yesterday! Oh, well.
I have seen on here that I will need his passport. What other documents will they ask for? I want to get a jump on this seeing as I will only have 2 weeks after I apply online to gather everything to be mailed in. I just want to be prepared and have everything here when I go to send it in. If anyone could shed some light, I would greatly appreciate it. Also I have a retirement account through work that I have accumulated about $35000 in and I will be removing that to take with me. The only downside is that I cannot withdraw that money until I resign from my job and I cannot do that until I know that I have a visa. Will the visa people accept that money as proof that I have money to live off of and not have to go on public funds. I also have applied and been granted an Health Professionals Council certificate to practice as a diagnostic radiographer in the UK which I intend to get a job doing once I am over there.
I would appreciate any insight and suggestions that anyone has for me! Thanks so much!

Re: documents i will need for UK spouse visa
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 01:00:12 PM »
Here is a good place to start with what you'll need to have:
http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/spouse/

(Just an FYI it's not a 'marriage visa' you've already gotten married...it's a Spousal Settlement Visa a Marriage Visa is for someone who isn't married but wants to get married in the UK then return to their home country.)

• Liked: 0
Re: documents i will need for UK spouse visa
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 01:08:19 PM »
You don't *have* to change the name in your passport if you don't want--your visa will be issued in your maiden name in that case, but it's legal to do so. Mine wasn't changed either, but I just keep a copy of my marriage certificate handy in case I need to prove I'm married. But, if you want to change it, that's okay too.

As for your husband's passport, he can send a certified copy of it if he wants, or his long-form birth certificate and a photocopy of his ID page in lieu of his original. The UKBA also wants to see things like bank statements (at least the 3 most recent months) and paperwork showing you have suitable accomodation (i.e. rental agreements, mortgage papers, letters from landlords/family/the council, etc). They'll also obviously need to see the marriage certificate, your passport, passport style photos, etc etc.

Ninja edit: the link WebyJ posted is pretty awesome, I need to bookmark it on this machine, but it's a very good resource.

I'm not sure if the money you've accumulated from your job so far can be put towards maintenance since you technically don't have access to it yet, but I'm not 100% sure on that point :( I'm sure someone more knowledgable about that can explain it better than me.

You technically have 2 weeks from the time you do your biometrics to get everything to the consulate, not from when you applied online. That's why it's best to have everything ready to go by the time you do your bios, since you can pop it in the mail right afterward to send to your expediter, or to the consulate itself.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:10:55 PM by Tams »
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009