Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Question on Spousal Visas  (Read 463 times)

• Liked: 0
Question on Spousal Visas
« on: February 02, 2010, 04:18:08 PM »
I am new to the board and so I'm not sure how detailed of a question I should ask.  I am a dual national US/UK citizen, I was born in the US of English parents, so I have a US and a UK passport, and I have lived and worked in the UK at several points in my life.  However, the last time I lived in the UK was 4 years ago.

I am getting married soon to a US citizen and we are interested in moving back to the UK.  Would we qualify for a spousal visa given that I haven't lived there in a while?  Also, what do we do about the "adequate accommodations" provision, as we don't have a flat over there or anything.  Can I use my uncle's address?  My future husband and I would both continue to work for our US companies while in the UK (he's a consultant and will  be doing work for one of his company's clients who is based in London).

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me!

Re: Question on Spousal Visas
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 04:22:41 PM »
Yep as a UK Citizen you can sponsor your US spouse for a UK Spousal Visa. You would have to show that you can support yourselves without needing public funds. So either you would need savings or a job that would meet the requirements. If you would be still working for your US companies then you would just need documentation from the respective companies that they would continue to employ and pay you whilst living abroad. (You would need to look into the tax implications of this though.)

You can live at your uncles as long as it is not considered overcrowded.

Spousal visa documents you would need can be found here: http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/spouse/.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 04:24:39 PM by WebyJ »

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 04:28:54 PM »
You say you are a UK citizen, so yes, your spouse would be able to apply for a spousal visa with you as their sponsor.

You can use your uncle's address if you will be living with your uncle and there is a room solely for your use.   
If not, you will need to show that you can afford accommodation in your area with your salaries. It is perfectly OK for you to not have a place immediately upon moving as long as you can prove that you will be able to secure accommodation without relying on public funds.

In addition to accommodation, be sure to read up on the maintains requirements, too.

xpost with weby

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 04:34:20 AM »
yes, if you are a UK citizen you can sponsor your spouse, just check what you need to qualify.

BTW do you know how long a spouse visa is valid for once in hand? I am trying to find it on here but I can't seem to locate the info.

Thanks 

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 07:49:27 AM »
...do you know how long a spouse visa is valid for once in hand? I am trying to find it on here but I can't seem to locate the info.

Thanks 

Spousal visas issued outside the UK are valid for 27 months.

FLR(M) issued in the UK are valid for 24 months.

Sponsored Links