Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Why do people assume that I share their anti-American assumptions?  (Read 1634 times)

• See my Welcome Wagon post to learn more about me..
  • Liked: 0
I was born and raised in the UK, and just returned to the UK after ten years in the States. I have been quite surprised by how many people assume that it is OK to share all their various mistaken assumptions about America and Americans (everyone is so fat over there, people just drive everywhere, the food is awful, everyone's super-religious and gut-toting, etc.)

Has anyone else encountered this phenomenon? I tend to use those moments to set people straight or at least complexify their worldview a bit, but it really bugs me that people just assume that I'll laugh along with them at all those 'stupid Americans'...
"The stars don't shine upon us / We're in the way of their light"

- Silver Jews

Re: Why do people assume that I share their anti-American assumptions?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 02:18:32 PM »
It sucks that you're experiencing this as part of your transition back to the UK. I'm thinking it may be their way of trying to either connect with or denigrate your experiences in the States, no matter how inaccurate that is.

If I were in your situation, I'd pick and choose my battles, dependent on the person and my relationship with them. Some people are worth challenging and others may just be a waste of time. Put the energy in it in the way you feel you can.

I get these types comments being Canadian, but then I also get lumped with Americans: both types of ignorance are annoying.

• Painted Leather Jackets
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 02:43:41 PM »
Oh, this happens all the time. I was at a party on Saturday and the group talking next to my husband and myself were making all these assumptions about America and Americans. I guess they didn't realise that I am an American, so I just listened to them with a slight smile. My husband thinks it's quite funny. I don't get offended, just smile at the generalizations.
But then, when in the states, people has pre-conceived generalizations about Britain.

• Englishmann
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 02:52:06 PM »
I'm definitely going to use the term complexify in the next week.
11/99 - Moved to UK on Work Visa
07/00 - Married UKC
02/01 - Moved to Texas
04/10 - Received Spouse Visa - ILE
06/10 - Moved to England

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »
I can occasionally be...ornery...and enjoy tripping people up when they go on anti-American rants (or tell stories that make no sense about "how it is" in the US).   I pick and choose my battles as well, but I have to admit to occasionally waiting until a pivotal moment and then busting out the American accent in order to add a bit of embarrassment to the correction I am giving. (The most recent when a woman was going on and on and on about the US "national curriculum" being creationist.  I got to talk about state's rights AND science education in America--as a former teacher, I had a great time.  And a lot to say.

I think, as usual, that people aren't always thinking about what they are saying as much as trying to connect with someone else by finding common ground. Occasionally, this backfires.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 08:54:40 PM »
I can occasionally be...ornery...and enjoy tripping people up when they go on anti-American rants (or tell stories that make no sense about "how it is" in the US).   I pick and choose my battles as well, but I have to admit to occasionally waiting until a pivotal moment and then busting out the American accent in order to add a bit of embarrassment to the correction I am giving.

I do this!

A habit I'm trying super hard to break is defending each country to the other (ie Americans to Brits and vice versa).  I get so annoyed when people speak with authority in front of me about somewhere they often know nothing about, or have spent a week or two in and think they now know all about it.  I shouldn't do it.  I should pick my battles.  Luckily though many people I have encountered have been interested in America and asked questions more than anything else.  However, I did have a few people at my old job who wanted to live in America really badly including one who had spent years semi-retired going over there for frequent three month visits.  I'm surprised she didn't get bounced, but she clearly thought she knew more about America than I did.   ::)

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 11:44:12 PM »
It happens to me from time to time.  I wouldn't say often.  I find it tiresome, as does my husband.  If I'm especially annoyed, then I might point out how I (or one of my family or whatever) don't fit the stereotype being drawn.  But usually I just try to ignore the person.
doing laundry

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 06:57:14 PM »
I got this a lot when I was in school in England and when I visit. I think because I am not a native of America but have lived there for so long, some of these people assume that I would share their anti-American sentiments.  I must admit that I have very, very little patience for UK people who have very little experience on the US but like to go off on a rant about the country. 

I have, on more than one occassion concerning this particular issue, told people to their face that they sound ignorant.  I am generally a very tolerant person, but for whatever reason I can't (or maybe won't) put up with American bashing.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 11:10:28 AM »
I have also just returned from the States with my US Hubby after 10 yrs living there.  Most of the people I talk to are quite interested in the USA generally but I am fortunate to live in a very sheltered area (SW Cornwall) where most people are quite friendly.  The one person I have most of the trouble with funnily enough is my brother.  He thinks he knows more than us and believes everything he reads and sees in the media, btw he has never visited the USA.  2 years ago on vacation my Mum overheard him saying some quite derogatory things about the USA and got into one of the biggest family rows we have ever had in the family in my entire life.  My Mum & Dad have spent many 5 week holidays in the US in some very remote towns and places as well as big cities that we have lived in and therefore saw the real USA.  She got quite defensive which was quite funny as she has never lived there.  I think she got tired of seeing me defend the USA all the time so she jumped in for support.  At the end of the day it came down to my brother being jealous as he wanted to go & live in the USA but couldn't.  I have also found that when you get down to the nitty gritty most people that I have talked to who have negative things to say admit that they want to go and live there but can't for various reasons so a lot of the time it all comes down to jealousy, a lot of nastiness in life comes down to that.  I just put them straight on their mis-conceptions ;-) and move on.  I choose my battles well only fighting my corner when 1. I know 100% I am right and 2. I know a lot of information on the subject the other person is talking about so I don't look foolish and 3.  Go grab my hubby who knows a lot more than me when I feel like I'm losing :-)

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 10:54:48 AM »
It has gotten better, though, recently? For six years, all it seems like I heard about was George Bush and Iraq. And George Bush and Iraq. And George Bush and Iraq...

• Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 12:49:55 PM »
It has gotten better, though, recently? For six years, all it seems like I heard about was George Bush and Iraq. And George Bush and Iraq. And George Bush and Iraq...
Well, it doesn't help that one of the only direct American channel imports is FoxNews...They still talk about George Bush and Iraq as if those are the only things worth reporting! ;D

Sponsored Links