Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Magazines, more magazines, mailing lists, and emails  (Read 922 times)

• Liked: 0
Magazines, more magazines, mailing lists, and emails
« on: May 22, 2010, 01:42:56 AM »
My mother is driving me crazy (again). Last year, she started subscribing me to several different magazines without asking me first. It's to the point where I'm not even 100% sure how many and what magazines I get. She also signs me up for email list and mailing list for things she thinks I'm interested in or that will be "helpful."  ::)

I've asked her not to, and she gets really insulted, pitches a fit and rants about how ungrateful I am, then stops for a few months. Then it all starts back up again.  >:(

I just remove myself from the email/snail mail mailing lists. It's annoying and takes up my time, but that's better than being overwhelmed with stuff.

Now the magazines - I didn't think they were as big of a problem. But now the one-year subscriptions have expired and I'm getting tons of notices in the mail to send in payment and that I HAVE to pay for a second years subscription. One of the companies turned it over to a collection agency!  >:( >:( >:( I went ahead and paid it for that one, and I've been calling and sending letters/emails to others saying I did not sign up for these magazines and don't want them.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get rid of all these magazines?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:45:23 AM by ImissEngland »
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Magazines, more magazines, mailing lists, and emails
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 02:33:39 AM »
Any chance any of your friends might want one/more of them? If so, just send the magazine a change of address and they can renew if they want to?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 06:56:30 AM »
Can you contact the magazines and explain your mother signed you up in error? Maybe that would work. Or just return them to sender?

Also I would get a new email address and not give it to your mother!!  ;)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 09:21:08 AM »
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get rid of all these magazines?

Any chance any of your friends might want one/more of them? If so, just send the magazine a change of address and they can renew if they want to?

What about donating your excess magazines (that you've already got), or changing the address (for magazines still to come), to a local hospital ward, nursing home, in-patient hospice, etc?  That sort of thing would probably really be appreciated somewhere like that.  :)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 09:34:48 AM »
I don't have any advice, but I just had to post that my father used to do this with magazines.The only difference is that the renewal notices used to come to him, and he would renew them and pay for them himself.

I actually had to get a separate post office box because all my mail wouldn't fit in my normal mail box in my apartment.

He did the same to my sister and her mailbox broke from the postman trying to stuff all the magazines in it!

You know how magazines sometimes send out multiple renewal notices?  Well, my dad would forget that he'd already renewed a magazine and then renew it again and again. so I would have subscriptions that had been renewed for 10 years!

When I moved to the UK, all my mail was forwarded to my parent's address in the UK, and according to my sister, I am still getting magazines sent there - even though my dad passed away several years ago.  The subscriptions are not going to expire for many years.

It was kind of a PITA, but know that my dad is gone, I sort of miss it.

I hope you don't mind me adding my 2P.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 04:30:15 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I donate all the magazines to nursing homes. And we have a Goodwill Bookstore that takes them.

It's not getting them so much that bothers me - it's all the threatening letters telling me I have to renew. Apparently when she signed me up for some of them, it was for a two-year automatic renewal thing. I have almost-perfect credit and was turned over to a collection agency because of a magazine renewal!  >:(

My mom has stopped for now when I told her about the collection agency. Her new thing is to give presents to random people I barely know/have never met for graduation/weddings/baby shower etc. and sign my and DH's name on the card.  ::) [smiley=smash.gif]
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

• Liked: 5
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 08:45:36 AM »
If you are not the person that agreed the 2 year renewal, then you cannot be held liable.  You really should contact the magazine company and let them know what they are doing is illegal.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab