Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Certified copy of passport for AmEx?  (Read 2553 times)

• Liked: 0
Certified copy of passport for AmEx?
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:56:38 AM »
I'm applying to transfer my US AmEx into a UK AmEx. Did the form online and then got a letter saying they need to verify the authenticity of my application by having me send in two items. One is an original bill, which is easy now that I have a Thames Water bill in my name. The other is a "clear, certified copy" of my valid passport photo page. For AmEx's purposes, they say that a certified copy must be certified by a "professional person who is a resident in the UK" and then list a ton (nine lines in tiny print) of "professional persons" who can certify the copy. I could go to a Post Office and pay £7 to have it done, but I'd rather get by for less. One of the categories listed is "Officer of the armed services (active or retired)". I know a couple of US military officers who are here in London studying for graduate degrees. Would they qualify as being "a resident in the UK", or do you think they'd be looking for someone who's UK military and/or not in a student status? Two other categories are "Teacher" and "lecturer". Would someone at LSE with the rank of Lecturer, Reader, or Professor fall into one of those categories? Those would be the easiest for me to get, since I'm surrounded by them all day. I suppose I could ring AmEx and ask them, but I thought I'd try asking here first.

• Liked: 1
Re: Certified copy of passport for AmEx?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 03:08:47 PM »
By all means call the AmEx and you'll get the advice from someone in a call center in the Philippines ;D 

Sorry I couldn't resist!

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:16:19 PM »
I went to a solicitor and paid £10 to get mine, so I would guess the Post Office for £7 is your cheapest option, but you may be able to find other options from AmEx.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 09:42:29 AM »
Just an update to say that I called AmEx, got someone in the UK, and they gave an affirmative answer to my question about a professor meeting their requirement of a "professional person" under the "lecturer" category. Wanted to post this for reference if others have the question.

Sponsored Links