Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where to get married?  (Read 2969 times)

• I miss people no matter where I live
  • Liked: 0
Re: Where to get married?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 08:36:51 PM »
Oh no I'm not trying to attack you or your advice. I was just saying what I've read. I've not actually been through it myself. Well we were 1/2 way through and then just gave up because it was taking so damn long!
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

• Liked: 9
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 09:39:11 PM »
Tis okay, I didn't feel attacked.  ;D I just mentioned what we were able to do and didn't check my facts to see if it would work currently. These laws seem to change more often than most people change underwear.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 12:06:54 AM »
Just be sure to find out the local rules before you head to where ever you pick. 

A couple my sister knows (both Americans) wanted to get married in Scotland.  40 of their closest friends and family are there now for the wedding.  The bride and groom were turned away at the boarder yesterday because neither of them thought to look up the local marriage rules and they didn't get visas.

I don't feel bad for the couple because its just common sense.  Even if you get married in your back yard you need to look up the local marriage rules.  It's insane to me that they wouldn't bother.  I feel really bad for their guests who spent thousands to be with them.

Oh my god, that's awful! And really stupid of them. But awful. Even if they had applied for the proper visas if they showed up for a wedding a few days before they were going to get married they wouldn't have been able to do it anyway, because of the time required to give notice, etc. I don't think there's a residency requirement in Scotland but there is notice required, no? Wow, crazy. If they had even thought to look up the requirements a week or two in advance it might have been too late to apply for a visa but they might have been able to be legally married in a civil ceremony where they live and then just have the religious ceremony/public ceremony in Scotland. Don't think anyone requires a special visa for a non-legally binding celebration.

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 03:55:23 AM »
Just be sure to find out the local rules before you head to where ever you pick. 

A couple my sister knows (both Americans) wanted to get married in Scotland.  40 of their closest friends and family are there now for the wedding.  The bride and groom were turned away at the boarder yesterday because neither of them thought to look up the local marriage rules and they didn't get visas.

I don't feel bad for the couple because its just common sense.  Even if you get married in your back yard you need to look up the local marriage rules.  It's insane to me that they wouldn't bother.  I feel really bad for their guests who spent thousands to be with them.

Wow.. that's horrifying! Regardless if they didn't do their research that's an awful thing to happen and imagine how all the friends/family felt; spending that money, calling time off work etc.. I do agree they should have looked up the laws and what not, however they were probably excited with the prospect of getting married somewhere fun and different it didn't occur to them to do the sensible thing :-\\\\
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab