Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Has anyone brought their pet in through France?  (Read 1762 times)

• Banned

• Liked: 0
Has anyone brought their pet in through France?
« on: July 12, 2012, 06:23:04 PM »
Hi all,

I'm having a nightmare trying to bring my cat in from The States. To make a long story short after too many hidden costs and due to British bureaucracy it would be well over £1200 to get my cat to go into Heathrow.

Now it's seeming it would be a LOT cheaper for my relative to fly my cat into Paris and for me to meet them at CDG and then go back to the UK.

THe most important thing is...if the cat is cleared by French vets at CDG..is it good to travel to the UK along the DEFRA approved routes? I can either hire a pet taxi to take it via shuttle to Folkstone on the train, or traverse France to Calais and take it to Dover by myself.

Are there additional costs upon landing in the UK? The Government has absolutley insane policies bringing in animals from outside the EU that would result in about £700 worth of unnecessary fees.

But if I bring the cat from France all of that might be avoided...

Thank you very much for your help.

• Liked: 4
Re: Has anyone brought their pet in through France?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 02:16:04 PM »
Have you contacted multiple airlines if so which ones?  Are you using a relocation company?  It seems most pay $1200 to get a cat over so $1800 sounds a little high.   

• TELL ME IT WILL BE ALRIGHT
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 08:29:29 AM »
bringing dogs/cats over is expensive........there is no cheap way around it unfortunately

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:50:49 PM »
I am looking to do the same thing. I'm moving from the US to the UK and need to bring my small (5 lb) dog with me. I am trying to find a solid answer on following all DEFRA guidelines and flying with him in cabin with me into either France or Amsterdam then taking a ferry or train over. Did you end up doing either of these? Thanks!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 03:05:09 AM »
I am probably going to fly in through Paris with a 5 lb cat and 6 lb dog, the cat is a snubnose so she would fly in the cabin with me and the dog will go as checked/excess baggage. I inquired with Delta and the cost for excess baggage is $200.
I cannot bring both with me as carry-on, so I chose the cat  :D
You could bring your 5 pound dog as a carry-on with no additional costs, according to Delta, just pay for your own flight, but keep in mind the carrier counts as your carry-on so you have to pack accordingly!
 The maximum sized  carrier (either soft side or hard)  they quoted for me is 9 x 14 x 22 and it must fit under the seat and the pet stays in the carrier for the whole flight, you cannot take the pet out of the carrier.
Whatever airline you fly with, you will have to call them and ask for their requirements or if they even allow a pet as carry-on, as each airline is different.
As far as DEFRA, all the regulations are the same to enter France. Although you have to keep in mind that you have only 1-5 days after the tapeworm treatment done in the USA to enter the UK, so if you are spending a night or two in France and you go beyond the 5 days, you would have to find a vet and get the tapeworm treatment done again before you can enter the UK.
The Third Country Veterinary Certificate or the Pet Passport will be accepted in France and at Calais when they check the pet/paperwork prior to allowing you into the UK. But since the USA does not use the Pet Passport, those of us traveling from the USA use the Third Country Vet Cert. (Annex II)
 Once you are in the UK, you can then eventually get a Pet Passport for your dog if you decide to take him out of the UK again.

I do not know what the procedures are for arriving in Amsterdam with a pet, I am ASSUMING they are the same, since the UK has since gone along with the rest of the EU pet regulations now? You would have to do some googling yourself to find out  :) Entering the UK would be the same DEFRA requirements along with the tapeworm treatment.
I have also been trying to find out if there are any custom fees or any other surprise costs for the pet(s) when arriving in Paris, but have had no luck, I am 95% sure there are none?? Also if there are any customs fees entering the UK via France, again, do not know???

I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum!  :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:16:25 AM by Stephanie303 »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab