Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Back in the USA, miss the UK  (Read 2012 times)

• Liked: 0
Back in the USA, miss the UK
« on: November 04, 2013, 07:42:44 PM »
Not sure if this belongs in "airing cupoboard", or repatriation forum. This is mainly just a rant, but I'm sure some of you may feel the same. I spent the last 3+ years in London, and I know it isn't a long time in comparison to a lot of you. Having said that, those years have had the biggest impact on my life to say the least. The first time I went to London there was just this "connection". I've never felt so at home anywhere as I did there, perhaps never have that intense feeling again in my life. I've traveled all over the states and Europe and London stood out like a sore thumb.

I've only been back in the states for about 5-6 weeks and most days I'm fine; however, there's definitely a big piece of me missing. I suppose time will change this but I also kind of think it will always be there. I guess a downside to being an expat is the fact that I'll always have one foot in and one foot out from here on out. It's really hard to describe. That's all! I just needed to rant in a place where someone might relate!

• Liked: 82
Re: Back in the USA, miss the UK
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 02:14:20 PM »
Syntax I hope you settle in soon.  The first time I came to the UK I fell in love with it.  I had spoken to my dad about moving to England for as long as I can remember....well before I met DH.

DH had lived in the US for over 10 years before we moved back to his "home".  He hates it here, would rather be back in the US.....and never misses a chance to tell people that.  I on the other hand have taken to the UK like a fish to water.  I don't mind cooler temperature or even walking around in the rain.  I would easily grab a blanket and curl up on the couch with a cup of tea.  He would much rather be on his bike in sunshine and hot weather.  He seems to forget the horrible rainy autumns and springs and the bone chilling cold of the the winters.  SNOW??? nope never crosses his mind when he thinks back....just the blistering hot NYC summers (blech).

I have thought about NYC once since being in Liverpool...that was on 1st November when I used to go to walgreens and riteaid to stock up on 75% off halloween candy.  I honestly, like you, prefer the UK.  Mostly because my closest family in the US was over a 10 drive and I didn't see them often.  It was just DH and I and we just moved our lives to a new country.

I do get the whole one foot in and one foot out.  It is weird cause I am super patriotic and also want to be patriotic with my new country.  Tho it feels weird....like I am cheating on my home country while trying to show love for my new country's holidays and traditions.  Trying to find a balance.  Hopefully that will get easier as the years go on.

Hopefully you will start to feel more and more at home everyday.  But know you can always vent here.  Feel free to PM me if you just a need a quick vent :)  [smiley=hug.gif] [smiley=hug.gif]

• Liked: 0
Re: Back in the USA, miss the UK
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 05:54:28 PM »
Syntax I hope you settle in soon.  The first time I came to the UK I fell in love with it.  I had spoken to my dad about moving to England for as long as I can remember....well before I met DH.

DH had lived in the US for over 10 years before we moved back to his "home".  He hates it here, would rather be back in the US.....and never misses a chance to tell people that.  I on the other hand have taken to the UK like a fish to water.  I don't mind cooler temperature or even walking around in the rain.  I would easily grab a blanket and curl up on the couch with a cup of tea.  He would much rather be on his bike in sunshine and hot weather.  He seems to forget the horrible rainy autumns and springs and the bone chilling cold of the the winters.  SNOW??? nope never crosses his mind when he thinks back....just the blistering hot NYC summers (blech).

I have thought about NYC once since being in Liverpool...that was on 1st November when I used to go to walgreens and riteaid to stock up on 75% off halloween candy.  I honestly, like you, prefer the UK.  Mostly because my closest family in the US was over a 10 drive and I didn't see them often.  It was just DH and I and we just moved our lives to a new country.

I do get the whole one foot in and one foot out.  It is weird cause I am super patriotic and also want to be patriotic with my new country.  Tho it feels weird....like I am cheating on my home country while trying to show love for my new country's holidays and traditions.  Trying to find a balance.  Hopefully that will get easier as the years go on.

Hopefully you will start to feel more and more at home everyday.  But know you can always vent here.  Feel free to PM me if you just a need a quick vent :)  [smiley=hug.gif] [smiley=hug.gif]

JennyEye, thanks for the response. I am in NYC right now and as much as it's nice, it's not London. I do like it here but I don't know..London is just my first love I guess!! lol

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab