Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Is EC998 form a Health Certificate?  (Read 1024 times)

• Liked: 0
Is EC998 form a Health Certificate?
« on: January 22, 2013, 06:02:46 PM »
I have been calling around vets to get quotes on how much this will cost and they all mentioned if I require a health certificate, it will cost more. Is this considered a Health Certificate as they see it? I thought as I am filling it out and taking it for them to complete, that it might not be.
Can someone clarify this if you know?

Thanks!

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
Re: Is EC998 form a Health Certificate?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 06:12:34 PM »
Probably not. You'll need to ask the vets what they mean, but they likely mean a fit to fly statement/certificate. The EC 998 form is the import paperwork your pets need to be allowed into the UK, but does not certify their current health in any way (just their past history of having been microchipped and given rabies/tapeworm/tick/flea treatment, as appropriate).

Depending on when you fly, some airlines also want extra documentation (acclimation for temperatures in the extreme heat/cold, for example).
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 06:49:45 PM »
Probably not. You'll need to ask the vets what they mean, but they likely mean a fit to fly statement/certificate. The EC 998 form is the import paperwork your pets need to be allowed into the UK, but does not certify their current health in any way (just their past history of having been microchipped and given rabies/tapeworm/tick/flea treatment, as appropriate).

Depending on when you fly, some airlines also want extra documentation (acclimation for temperatures in the extreme heat/cold, for example).

Thank you! From what I see though, you don't need a health certificate, just the EC 998 form completed by the vet. Is this correct?

Thanks!

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 06:56:39 PM »
Like I said, it depends on the airline. All DEFRA wants is the EC 998 form to get your pet into the UK, but the airline might have other requirements to put your pet on the plane in the first place.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 08:04:35 PM »
Just what Equestrianerd said-- the airline only cares about their rules so they may or may not want a health cert and defra doesn't care what the airline does they only care about their rules once the pet has landed and will only look at the EC998 form and whatever they require for entry.

I would double and triple check what the airline says as I've been given different answers by different agents each time I've called.  The last thing you want is to show up at the airport and not be prepared.  Remember you can always fax/ email anything Defra requires to them in advance and they will look it over for you.  I've even called animal reception with questions and they have been more helpful than defra

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 03:08:41 AM »
Just what Equestrianerd said-- the airline only cares about their rules so they may or may not want a health cert and defra doesn't care what the airline does they only care about their rules once the pet has landed and will only look at the EC998 form and whatever they require for entry.

I would double and triple check what the airline says as I've been given different answers by different agents each time I've called.  The last thing you want is to show up at the airport and not be prepared.  Remember you can always fax/ email anything Defra requires to them in advance and they will look it over for you.  I've even called animal reception with questions and they have been more helpful than defra

Excellent! Thank you both so much for your answers, much appreciated  ;D

Sponsored Links