Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK: Trenton Oldfield was wrong to sabotage the Boat Race. But why deport him?  (Read 1596 times)

• Liked: 0
Trenton Oldfield was wrong to sabotage the Boat Race. But why deport him?

I know what each of the participants of that race committed to when they stepped into those boats, and I share in their anger at Oldfield. But these things are more important than a race. People with whom we disagree are the best test of the fairness of our legal system. When asked to comment on the matter, a Home Office spokesman said, "those who come to the UK must abide by our laws". They ought to be protected by them too.

And my collegues wonder why I don't go to any protests or demonstrations.
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

• Liked: 3
It's a wierd one. I agree that people should abide by the laws but there are loads of cases of foreign nationals being released from prison on far more serious offences that haven't been deported!
Think he's just an easy target.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Liked: 2
He is not really being deported, his spouse visa wasn't approved, which means he must return to his home country of Australia.
 I am pretty sure the reason it wasn't approved is because he committed and was convicted of a crime, thereby showing UKBA that he was not of good character.
I am also pretty sure that if I was in the UK and committed and was convicted of a crime and then decided to apply for a spouse visa that I would not be approved either.  :)

• Liked: 1
Wow. This is a weird one. When was the last time you heard of someone actually getting six months in jail for being a public nuisance? If the justice system usually worked that way, they could fill up an entire prison wing just from a Saturday night on my street.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 02:53:20 PM by britwrit »

Wow. This is a weird one. When was the last time you heard of someone actually getting six months in jail for being a public nuisance? If the justice system usually worked that way, they could fill up an entire prison wing just from a Saturday night on my street.
It's different when you upset a bunch of toffs.*

*I do not endorse or support criminal activities of any sort, of course.**

**I do, however, think this case brings up a lot of interesting questions.

Curious. He's been in the UK for 10 years, but was applying for a spouse visa. Can anyone speculate why he hadn't already applied for citizenship?

I think the whole thing is blown out of proportion, and that UKBA isn't as innocent in this as "he served time in prison so we'll refuse." Seems political to me.

Curious. He's been in the UK for 10 years, but was applying for a spouse visa. Can anyone speculate why he hadn't already applied for citizenship?

Perhaps he is one of those people who thinks that he isn't an immigrant because he is white and speaks English, and has only recently discovered that Germans have more rights to live in the UK than former colonials.

I think the whole thing is blown out of proportion, and that UKBA isn't as innocent in this as "he served time in prison so we'll refuse." Seems political to me.

What seems odd to me is why apply for a spouse visa? Assuming he was originally here on an ancestry visa, which I think then can be shifted to ILR, given the amount of time he's been here.

So the spouse visa is redundant to me. 

What seems odd to me is why apply for a spouse visa? Assuming he was originally here on an ancestry visa, which I think then can be shifted to ILR, given the amount of time he's been here.

So the spouse visa is redundant to me. 

Agreed. It seems like something is missing from the story.

• On a stroppy little island of mixed up people...
    • City of Villages Blog
  • Liked: 1
I thought that he was originally here on a student-turned- tier 1 highly skilled migrant visa?
It is difficult to speak adequately, or justly, of London. It is not a pleasant place; it is not agreeable, or easy, or exempt from reproach. It is only magnificent... the biggest aggregation of human life, the most complete compendium in the world.
-Henry James

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab