Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dodgy accents  (Read 1808 times)

• Liked: 0
Dodgy accents
« on: October 18, 2013, 08:31:35 PM »
I am so tired of small-minded, bigoted people back in the US. (which obviously isn't everyone there, but I've seen it enough for it to make my blood boil)

This afternoon my friend posted on FB about receiving a call from an "International Caller" per her caller id. It sounded like a phishing scam where she was told her computer had a virus, blah blah blah. She hung up on them and then posed the question to FB-land, "Could this actually be legit?" (Answer: Of course not!) Anyway, one of her friends posted something along the lines that she just had a call like that recently and the caller "had a really thick accent" inferring that that in itself made the whole thing a scam. I couldn't keep my mouth shut, or in this case, my fingers still and responded, "Yeah, a thick accent is dodgy!  [smiley=shifty.gif] (says she who is considered to have a thick accent living abroad)"

I'm sorry, but having a thick accent has nothing to do with the caller being a fraudster as this stranger to me on FB insinuated. The fact that he was phishing with a well-known scam scenario makes him a fraudster.  [smiley=blank.gif]

Who knows? Maybe UK natives think my broad American accent makes me shady.

End rant.
Let them eat cupcakes!

Officially Britishly since August 2013

• Liked: 2
Re: Dodgy accents
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »
Yes, small minded, bigoted people are horrible, and unfortunately, they exist in every corner of the world.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/03/2012-Email from UK Consul General application needs further processing will receive decision within 10 working days.
02/09/2012-Request for more payslips and custody papers for daughter.
02/22/2012-Submit the requested documents with prayers.
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued :)
03/12/2012-Arrive in MAN UK :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab