Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How the heck do you change electric companies?  (Read 1466 times)

• Liked: 0
How the heck do you change electric companies?
« on: November 23, 2015, 05:26:26 PM »
Ugh! DH and I moved into a new flat in July. The previous tenants moved out and never paid their electricity or gas bill.  We tried to get Southern Electric as our provider as it was currently Scottish Power that they had. We were told by SP that they couldn't let SE take over because there was an outstanding bill never mind it wasn't from us. Then were finally told we'd need to make an account with SP so that SE could take over.  Well we just got a notice in the mail that we are one month late paying our electricity bill. We never did get the first bill. A bill from Scottish Power! DH called them and said that they could not let SE take over because we had an outstanding bill. (We never had SP before) Apparently upon creating our account we were charged 210 pounds for a guestimate bill until October, therefore upon account creation we were already owing and they wouldn't transfer it but never told us this.

So I'm pretty mad yet again.  This seems ridiculous. Also, SE sent DH and email months ago that was like a "Hello New Customer"  email to have him fill out info. I'm pretty irritated. 

SE told us last time that it would take 4 weeks once OK'd by SP to become our provider and switch over (which is silly anyway) so I would expect once we pay this bill it will be 4 weeks but in that time SP will have another bill for us... therefore making us owe money and not be able to switch again.  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here!  >:(

Also, is there any place where I can go and complain about this company?  Like the equivalent of BBB?
Keepin' it real. Real annoying.

Re: How the heck do you change electric companies?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 10:41:10 PM »
I bought a house last year and had to continue with the electricity company already supplying the house. After a month or so I switched using www.uswitch.com. I can't say it was seamless and trouble free and it was rather annoying to spend time on something that should have been straightforward.

When you took over the house/flat you should have received meter readings from your letting agent or taken readings youself on the day, this prevents you from being charged for previous unpaid bills. Its always best to call the utility companies on move in day with the readings. You don't say if you did this but without these readings they couldn't be expected to know that a new tenant had taken over the supply.

Yes it does take a while to switch companies and yes, it is stupid.

This link sets out the complaints process: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/domestic-consumers/making-enquiry-or-complaint

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 11:00:44 PM »
When you took over the house/flat you should have received meter readings from your letting agent or taken readings youself on the day, this prevents you from being charged for previous unpaid bills. Its always best to call the utility companies on move in day with the readings. You don't say if you did this but without these readings they couldn't be expected to know that a new tenant had taken over the supply.

Speaking of, I've had a lot of hassle with my electricity meter readings since I moved into a flat in a renovated hospital building in May. On the day I moved in, I asked about the meters, but the estate agent didn't know where they were so she said she would get her colleague to read the meters the next day. I didn't hear anything back from them, and when I asked one of the site officers (they are still renovating other parts of the building), he just said, 'they're outside, downstairs'... but all I could find was the water meter and no evidence of electricity meters.

I spent the next few weeks calling the estate agent (who checked me in) and the letting agent (who is based in London) trying to find out the initial meter reading... it even got to the stage where they called me asking for it and I had to explain that I had been asking THEM for it for the last 6 weeks!

Finally I got an email back from them with the meter readings...but they were latest readings, taken 2 months after I moved in. When I went into my online electricity account to enter the readings, apparently they had a May start reading of 1700 kWh less than the July reading (no idea who read it though)... that's about 18 months worth of electricity that I had apparently used in just 50 days of actually physically being in the apartment (while working 12-hour day and night shifts)!

I paid my May-August bill based on their estimated usage of 300 kWh and also called and emailed the company and gave them another reading and hoped they would sort it out... only to find that when my bill came in October, they were trying to charge me £330 for the last 3 months of electricity... and I've only spent 3.5 weeks in the flat since August as I'm working away from home at the moment!

So I emailed them again and finally got something sorted out (I hope) - there's still no sign of an accurate initial meter reading, but they've done an back-calculated estimate based on the July reading and the October reading. I'm still waiting for a revised bill now though, as they've apparently wiped the other reading from my account and have just put in the calculated May reading and that's it (so my account is apparently in credit)!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 10:33:35 AM »
I have had problems with every gas/electric company I have ever switched to... each one I switch to seems worse that the last! (my advice:  don't ever go with npower... they are truly the worst!)

The flat we moved to last December has a pay-as-you-go key meter for the leccy... no bills, ever!  We just re-charge the 'key' at the corner shop whenever we need to, and it's hassle-free.  I'm aware that this is probably the most expensive method of buying power, but for us, it's worth every extra penny to be rid of the hassle of meter readings, incorrect bills, crappy customer service call centres, and people on the street trying to get us to switch providers... as soon as we say we use a key meter, they leave us alone.  :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 05:23:30 AM »
Just to update, they still won't come and read the meter to issue us a final bill nor hand it over to the other electric company. Been ongoing since the summer. Basically we give up. They are like the mafia, no way you can get out from under them.
Keepin' it real. Real annoying.

• Liked: 6115
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 07:07:49 AM »
Just to update, they still won't come and read the meter to issue us a final bill nor hand it over to the other electric company. Been ongoing since the summer. Basically we give up. They are like the mafia, no way you can get out from under them.

Sorry to hear that.
Looks like it's time to contact the Ombudsman services. Hopefully they will get you sorted out.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/domestic-consumers/making-enquiry-or-complaint

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/energy.html

• Liked: 347
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 04:30:11 PM »
Just email the boss, the CEO of retail and generation

neil.clitheroe@scottishpower.com

He will pass it on to a senior person to look at. When it gets sorted, don't forget to ask for your compo.

SE told us last time that it would take 4 weeks once OK'd by SP to become our provider and switch over (which is silly anyway)

Just so you know, that is the timeframe for all of them. I change my providers a lot.

Sponsored Links