Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Flying kitten to UK from US, advice?  (Read 1977 times)

• Liked: 0
Flying kitten to UK from US, advice?
« on: January 26, 2016, 04:32:33 AM »
Hello! After moving from England to the States almost 7 years ago now, my parents have decided it's time to go home! However, a few months ago, my boyfriend and I adopted a cute little kitten who I can't bring myself to part with. Could anyone please tell me the process of flying him over with us and possibly some helpful advice? He's about 4 months old right now. We're planning to move back whenever my parents sell the house so the timing is all up in the air at the moment. The kitten will be getting his first rabies shot next month and he's all up to date on all other vaccines and is micro-chipped; although I believe he'll need a different chip that can be read in the UK? Just looking for some info on costs, good airlines for pet travel, and whatever knowledge anyone could offer. I'm aware this process is going to be long, confusing and most likely pricey but worth it! Thankyou!

• Liked: 4991
Re: Flying kitten to UK from US, advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 09:26:34 AM »
The process has changed a lot since I moved my kitties over (it's easier now).  Over 5 years ago I paid $3300 for 2 cats.  It's the airfare that is most expensive (well over $1000) and then the fees for entering the UK are high.  Plus the cost of the crate (it has to be a certain size, much MUCH larger than a cat carrier) and vet vists.

The rabies shot is super important, so I would get that done ASAP.  That starts your "clock" for when you can move over (though I think it's only a month from the shot).

And yes, it was the best money I've ever spent.  :)

I'm guessing you are a UK citizen so you don't need to worry about a visa?

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 01:59:33 PM »
I am a UK citizen, yes. The only visa we have to worry about is my boyfriend's, we are trying to get him over the pond with us and have been looking into a lot of options. Of course, the easiest seems marriage but my parents aren't too fond of us marrying just for the sake of this situation. But it seems that it really could be the only way, there's no way for me to stay here in the US with him unless again, we get married haha (I'm here with a green card under my dad's work visa) If my parents move back to the UK without me, I would be without health care and car insurance and for an epileptic nineteen year old that's quite a worry for both myself and them. It's quite the mind boggling situation. But me and the boyfriend have been together for quite a while and living together for a year so we're trying to do everything to make it possible for him to live there with me.

Anyhow, back to kitty. I heard virgin is pretty reasonable when it comes to traveling with pets, $3000 is what I'd pay for my ticket wooooweeeeee! But yes, times have changed, did you have to quarantine your cats? Also, would you recommend taking them in the cabin with you or in the hold?

Thanks!

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 02:06:40 PM »
. But me and the boyfriend have been together for quite a while and living together for a year so we're trying to do everything to make it possible for him to live there with me.

If you're not ready for marriage, what about him trying to get a student visa to study in the UK?

It's a fairly easy route - he would just have to be accepted into an approved college/university - but he would need a lot of money available to him to get a student visa... 1 year of tuition (about £15,000 for international students) plus about £10,000 in living costs... and it would have to be available in full either in his bank account or by way of an approved US student or private loan before he can apply for a visa.

• Liked: 4991
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 02:32:14 PM »
Kitty MUST travel in the hold into the UK.   ::)

And yes, my cats flights were far more expensive than mine!

No, mine did not have to be in quarantine.  I moved here back when they had to have their rabies booster, followed by a blood test a month later showing the rabies tither, and then a 180 day wait until they could enter the UK.  It's all changed now and much easier to bring your animals over.

Visas are tough!  If you end up in the US a bit longer, you could apply for an unmarried partner visa but you will need documentation proving you have lived together for at least 2 years.

• Liked: 82
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 05:43:52 PM »
I believe you can rent a micro chip reader if yours isn't an eu chip. Unless that had changed in 2 1/2 years.

Good news is, it isn't always more expensive for the pet. My cat is tiny....Only 7.5 pounds. She had been this weight since she was 3 (12 now) and it cost us only $500 something for her flight (might have been just under $500) but it was far cheaper than my $1100 flight.

Check out this guide and make sure your vet is usda certified, https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1
Flying kitten to UK from US, advice?
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 10:00:37 PM »
I brought my dog over a month ago and Heathrow animal reception center said they could read any chip for entrance. So that was a relief. Now that I'm here I plan to chip her again with EU and rabies again so she can get a pet passport.
Cargo companies that I contacted charged by the size of the crate. And there was a minimum size crate you could use.
You may find something different with cats though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 10:02:16 PM by jenanycla01 »

• Liked: 82
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 11:14:09 PM »
United airlines charged by weight, I had a huge crate, wanted her to have room, and it was still under $500. Tho we did get shouted at Manchester airport for the crate being too big

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 07:04:43 AM »
Laughed at the idea of being shouted at for having a large crate...haha.  Welcome to the UK..why did you bring such a big crate??  nice!  Good to hear the ticket is only $500 or so, as I was expecting to spend more than that for my dog.  Haven't start pricing things out yet and I am hoping it isn't more than $1K..but will honestly pay what it is to bring him..  Hard to leave family behind, though my friend did say she would take him if we decide the trip will be too hard on him.  This, taxes, and school for my kids are my biggest worries...  My mind is tired thinking about everything that it takes to move overseas!

Sponsored Links