Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: To go or not to go?!  (Read 1727 times)

• Liked: 25
To go or not to go?!
« on: December 11, 2021, 09:00:54 PM »
Just wondering who here is planning to travel back at Christmas, and if anyone’s plans have changed or having second thoughts with the new variant and the new requirement for the PCR for all travellers to return to the UK?

I’ve not been home in two years now, and we’ve had a horrific year this year, so I desperately want to see friends and family and have some home comforts. However, I am also pregnant and concerned about the prospect of testing positive before we return to the UK and being stuck in the US for an indeterminate period. We’ve got travel insurance, but feeling like the risk might not be worth it.

It’s a tough one! Not looking for answers, but would be curious to know your thought processes on any decisions to still go or not to go this year.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 07:01:22 AM by ms1967 »
Leave to Enter (Spouse): 2018-2021
Leave to Remain FLR(M): 2021-2023

Application Type: SET(M)
Priority/Non-Priority: Super Priority
Online Application Submitted: 13 December 2023
Biometrics Appointment: 21 December 2023
Decision Made Email: 21 December 2023 - APPROVED!
BRP Received: 23 December 2023

• Liked: 1901
Re: To go or not to go?!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 08:27:33 AM »
We are planning to go to France this year and it is looking more and more uncertain by the day.  The biggest risks I see are someone testing positive before we leave forcing us to cancel, and someone testing positive while we are there.  The latter will cause us a HUUUGE amount of trouble.  I'm not too worried about changes to the border rules between France / UK as the infection rates seem to be similar but that could be trouble between US / UK. 

• Liked: 770
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 11:50:22 AM »
We are planning to go to France this year and it is looking more and more uncertain by the day.  The biggest risks I see are someone testing positive before we leave forcing us to cancel, and someone testing positive while we are there.  The latter will cause us a HUUUGE amount of trouble.  I'm not too worried about changes to the border rules between France / UK as the infection rates seem to be similar but that could be trouble between US / UK.
Looks like France is out right now Jimbo.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 05:58:36 PM »
Looks like France is out right now Jimbo.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think we've given up.  Theoretically we wouldn't be subject to some of the new rules since some of them don't apply to French citizens and their families, but all the sucky bits were rapidly overwhelming the positive bits. 

One bad thing is that since my son has only had one dose, he's not fully vaccinated in the eyes of the French so possibly we wouldn't be able to go out to eat. 

Even worse, the idea of being stuck for weeks in in quarantine in a tiny french flat was just too much.  We already got a letter from shcool saying he can't miss any days becuase he's stuck somewhere.  Not to mention the whole family in France has Covid. 

• Liked: 4991
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 06:20:05 PM »
Oh Jimbo, none of that sounds good.   ::)

• Liked: 734
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 07:44:23 PM »
Sorry to hear this Jimbo.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 07:57:10 PM »
That's nice of you guys to be so sympathetic. Don't tell Mrs CZ but I am perfectly happy to stay home.  Did I mention that a kid who sits next to jimbocz Jr. is home in bed with Covid?   Counting the days until he tests positive just in time for Christmas.

• Liked: 427
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 04:13:06 PM »
That's nice of you guys to be so sympathetic. Don't tell Mrs CZ but I am perfectly happy to stay home.  Did I mention that a kid who sits next to jimbocz Jr. is home in bed with Covid?   Counting the days until he tests positive just in time for Christmas.
Oh no!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 734
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2021, 04:48:54 PM »

Not good, but here’s hoping jimbocz jr. does not get infected. We spent 30 minutes in the car with our son 3 days before he got Covid symptoms and we didn’t catch it off him so who knows…..
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab