Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: caught in the transition: evisa, existing ILR, and new BRP  (Read 467 times)

• Liked: 0
caught in the transition: evisa, existing ILR, and new BRP
« on: August 14, 2024, 10:17:27 AM »
Hi all,

I'm getting annoyed about this, and wondered if anyone here had any wisdom/ideas/etc.

So. I've had ILR since June 2014. I dutifully applied for a new BRP back in June as my old one ran out and I wasn't ready yet to apply to citizenship (please don't query this - I have since decided to go ahead and apply).

However. My new BRP application crossed over with my evisa. I now have an evisa, an outstanding BRP application, and would really REALLY like to go home while I have annual leave over the next few weeks (older parents and I can't travel during the semester as I'm an academic so I'm limited in when I can make transatlantic trips, etc.). I've called up the UKVI helpline, which as we know isn't great, and they advised me they wouldn't recommend trying international travel, just because you're meant to travel with *both* documents until the end of 2024. However, every bit of the website now says a) travel with the BRP only if you have one (which, strictly speaking, I do not!) and b) there is no longer the ability to apply for a new BRP (so I wonder - can people who have BRPs that expire between now and December just *not travel*). Is this a right hand/left hand thing? I'm risk adverse and don't travel well so I really don't want the stress of knowing whether or not I'd be allowed back in the UK (even though with the egates it should make no difference and I know people travel with expired BRPs all the time), but honestly - this is infuriating. Am I seriously meant to stay in Blighty till UKVI deign to give me a new card that lasts all of two months??
Student visa #1 (MA): September 2006
Student visa #2 (PhD): January 2008
Married(!): October 2011
FLR(M) applied for: December 2011
FLR(M) granted: February 2012
ILR (M) applied for: 4 February 2014
ILR (M) granted: June 2014

Sponsored Links