Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK state pension taxable in the US  (Read 1337 times)

• Liked: 734
Re: UK state pension taxable in the US
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2024, 10:56:47 AM »
Just to be clear, Guya is the tax pro, not me, don’t trust anything I say.

I am simply reporting how the London firm that does our taxes files our taxes with HMRC and although they file electronically on our behalf we get a full copy of the self assessments, and the 15% tax free and reference to the DTA is clearly detailed in the filing. I promise that whenever HMRC deny that claim then I will be sure to report back here. No idea how many back years they would go after.

When we first moved back it was nice to only be taxed on 90% of my US private pensions but unfortunately that was stopped around 2018.

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2024, 05:01:53 PM »
Trubo Tax instructions for a US resident and citizen with UK state pension income says this:

<<If this is a UK governmental pension, you would be able to claim a treat exemption on From 8833 (statement to claim a treaty exemption) which you would attach to your mailed in tax return. You would still include the amount on your return under the social security section but you would also include a negative amount for this UK governmental pension on line 21 and the description should read "Tax exempt under US-UK tax treaty Article 17")>>

Best

Rick

• Liked: 734
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2024, 05:43:51 PM »
Trubo Tax instructions for a US resident and citizen with UK state pension income says this:

<<If this is a UK governmental pension, you would be able to claim a treat exemption on From 8833 (statement to claim a treaty exemption) which you would attach to your mailed in tax return. You would still include the amount on your return under the social security section but you would also include a negative amount for this UK governmental pension on line 21 and the description should read "Tax exempt under US-UK tax treaty Article 17")>>

Best

Rick

The UK State Pension (OAP) is the equivalent of the US SS. A UK government pension is the equivalent of a US government pension, for example a retired US diplomat and a retired UK  diplomat each receive a government pension and the treaty states that such government pensions are taxable only in the country that provides it.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links