Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK tax site without Nat Ins number  (Read 2157 times)

• Liked: 150
UK tax site without Nat Ins number
« on: June 11, 2024, 09:11:29 AM »
Getting ready to do my UK taxes. Wife is currently doing hers (self assess) for the first time. She is doing hers online since she has a national insurance number being British. I noticed on the info she was putting in that it didn't require her to put her Nat Ins number in...just the UTR. Would I be able to do it online without a Nat Ins number? I haven't tried it yet.

edit: just looking at the official notes....it doesn't sound like you can, but......
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 09:14:43 AM by F4mandolin »
Fred

• Liked: 734
Re: UK tax site without Nat Ins number
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2024, 11:16:21 AM »
Getting ready to do my UK taxes. Wife is currently doing hers (self assess) for the first time. She is doing hers online since she has a national insurance number being British. I noticed on the info she was putting in that it didn't require her to put her Nat Ins number in...just the UTR. Would I be able to do it online without a Nat Ins number? I haven't tried it yet.

edit: just looking at the official notes....it doesn't sound like you can, but......

My wife and I both do self assessment and Nat Ins number is not needed, just the UTR.

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2024, 02:42:18 PM »
Thanks. I didn't see it when my wife was filing things out....thought I might have missed something. I did something paper-wise last year that angered somebody, so maybe doing it online will prevent that.
Fred

• Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2024, 09:11:09 PM »
Filing online, the NINO normally gets added automatically under the UTR on the top of the first page of SA100.  If filing paper, you're supposed put your NINO in box 4 of SA100 if it's not on that page already.  (Or am I missing the point?)

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2024, 08:16:44 AM »
Filing online, the NINO normally gets added automatically under the UTR on the top of the first page of SA100.  If filing paper, you're supposed put your NINO in box 4 of SA100 if it's not on that page already.  (Or am I missing the point?)

The point is that it is not mandatory because a NINO is only used to track contributions to your State pension and the NINO is issued by DWP not HMRC. I recall a US lady here who was very upset at DWP refusing to issue her with a NINO because she had no intention to work.

On returning to the UK we used a tax preparer to do our HMRC returns and when she sent through the returns to be checked I noticed the missing NINOs and pointed that out. She told me that they were not needed, which is how I first came to know about it. No harm in adding it if you have a NINO but no point in trying to apply for one unless you intend to work.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2024, 10:11:22 AM »
Well, just got off my butt and tried to crank up a new Gov Gateway account....it seems to have cancelled my old one. I still can't do the taxes online. The forms I'm trying to fill in keep asking for a Nat Insurance number and won't let me continue. So.....back to doing the paperwork version and I guess I'll need to call them this week.
Fred

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2024, 03:56:55 PM »
Oh jeez. On the phone with HMRC this morning.....needed the paper forms for myself and some big questions with my wife's taxes. Just came away more confused than ever. We figured my wife owed about £2500 for 23/24.....well, kind of. They want that money plus a bunch for this next year....£4404. She couldn't just pay for last year....she must pay ahead as well. Also...even though she didn't make enough to pay taxes last year....most of that money was from American social security so now she has to do 22/23 taxes as well for some reason. We are now looking into online tax preparation sites.....any good recommendations? Online is not easier....
Fred

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2024, 05:49:00 PM »
I use Taxcalc to work out the HMRC taxes. £36

https://www.taxcalc.com/individual

It is normal to pay estimated HMRC taxes for the upcoming tax year, due in 2 payments in January and July.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 05:52:00 PM by durhamlad »

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2024, 09:16:54 AM »
I use Taxcalc to work out the HMRC taxes. £36

https://www.taxcalc.com/individual

It is normal to pay estimated HMRC taxes for the upcoming tax year, due in 2 payments in January and July.
Does the TaxCalc do your last years taxes and these upcoming payments as well? Had an issue yesterday when talking to the guy on the phone.....he was just assuming my wife would be making as much or more money this year and wanted money for that....she will be making less money this current year. Less in savings....savings rates going down slightly....and not having as much money in savings due to the house we are buying.

Also just wondering if the online sites are any good. £169 to have someone do them....seems like there would be more money popping up after you get going on that kind of thing.
Fred

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2024, 08:47:16 PM »
Does the TaxCalc do your last years taxes and these upcoming payments as well? Had an issue yesterday when talking to the guy on the phone.....he was just assuming my wife would be making as much or more money this year and wanted money for that....she will be making less money this current year. Less in savings....savings rates going down slightly....and not having as much money in savings due to the house we are buying.

Also just wondering if the online sites are any good. £169 to have someone do them....seems like there would be more money popping up after you get going on that kind of thing.

I don’t know if you can buy prior years, I do have all years since moving back. It is not an online return, I download a copy onto my PC each year.

Upcoming payments are listed just like HMRC. Our estimated returns are all ways higher or lower than the previous year due to exchange rate moves, dividends and interest changes etc. I don’t know if HMRC charge penalties for under payments like the IRS but they probably do. I don’t stress over possible underpayment penalties by HMRC. Some years I under pay and sometimes I overpay but by always paying the estimates listed by HMRC I ensure no stress.

I always have a tax preparer do our taxes and use Taxcalc for tax planning. Taxcalc has no knowledge of the tax treaties. I use Taxcalc for tax planning and don’t use it to file.

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2024, 09:17:41 AM »
I don’t know if you can buy prior years, I do have all years since moving back. It is not an online return, I download a copy onto my PC each year.

Upcoming payments are listed just like HMRC. Our estimated returns are all ways higher or lower than the previous year due to exchange rate moves, dividends and interest changes etc. I don’t know if HMRC charge penalties for under payments like the IRS but they probably do. I don’t stress over possible underpayment penalties by HMRC. Some years I under pay and sometimes I overpay but by always paying the estimates listed by HMRC I ensure no stress.

I always have a tax preparer do our taxes and use Taxcalc for tax planning. Taxcalc has no knowledge of the tax treaties. I use Taxcalc for tax planning and don’t use it to file.
Do you use a local person for the taxes, or online?
Fred

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2024, 11:28:02 AM »
Do you use a local person for the taxes, or online?

I use a person in London, done via email, and she files electronically for me. I use TaxCalc to estimate our taxes ahead of time, including from foreign pensions, dividends and cap gains, but she manages foreign tax credits far better than I can. Most of the foreign tax credits are on our IRS return but occasionally when we sell shares from funds in my wife's brokerage account the US taxes are higher so an HMRC foreign tax credit is in order.

She is expensive, I'm sure you could find someone local if you don't fancy doing it online or with tax software.  For 2 years after my wife's BIL died I helped her sister do her taxes online through the HMRC portal, and that did include income from sale of shares and a sale of a second home. I thought it was a pretty good portal and managed just fine, the 2nd year we did her return was back to being simple and HMRC wrote to her saying that she could stop filing Self Assessment returns. Your wife has foreign income ongoing from SS so will always now have to file each year.

Sponsored Links