Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Secrets for contacting FBU?  (Read 3521 times)

• Liked: 734
Re: Secrets for contacting FBU?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM »
FYI, I've today received a response to an email I sent to the FBU in early June.  Almost 3 months.

Yay!!

So for me to want to my SS to start early February 2025 I will apply in November through the FBU.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 14
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2024, 05:30:02 PM »
Yay!!

So for me to want to my SS to start early February 2025 I will apply in November through the FBU.

I saw that you'd mentioned Feb and I meant to reply ... but didn't obviously.  If you want to start receiving your SS in Feb, I'd get in touch with them right now.  BTW, I contacted them by sending a message via their website.  In your message you could mention when you're entitled/when you want to start taking it.  I did it a few years ago - sent the message in early August, received a phone call (I think) in December, which was just to arrange an "interview" in January.  I sent the message in August because I became entitled at the start of Oct, so I thought I'd done it in plenty of time.  Ha!  If the response time to emails is anything to go by they are even slower now.

BTW, I think I mentioned before to be aware re having backdated payments in a lump sum - because it could put you in a higher tax bracket if you're not careful.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 08:49:42 AM by crowman »

• Liked: 5
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2024, 12:47:27 PM »
Just as an update, I still haven't heard back from FBU - message sent over two months ago (via their online message function; I forgot to record when I sent it, but definitely over 2 months ago). As far as calling FBU is concerned, I've given up completely.

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2024, 03:42:56 PM »
I sent an email to them today requesting the start of my SS benefits.  I see that they haven't changed their auto-reply message saying they will be in touch within 10 working days  :D

I will update this thread as things progress, or not.

Thank you for contacting the Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in the United Kingdom. We will respond to your inquiry within ten (10) business days. Please do not follow-up on your inquiry unless you have not received a response within ten (10) business days. We respectfully request that you avoid sending multiple emails as this may cause delays.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2024, 03:46:09 PM by durhamlad »

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2024, 04:22:15 PM »
I sent an email to them today requesting the start of my SS benefits.  I see that they haven't changed their auto-reply message saying they will be in touch within 10 working days  :D

I will update this thread as things progress, or not.

Good luck and don't hold your breath!  It'll be interesting to hear how you get on because my wife is now entitled to spousal benefit.

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2024, 04:18:03 PM »
Good luck and don't hold your breath!  It'll be interesting to hear how you get on because my wife is now entitled to spousal benefit.
I've just had a response to the email I sent on Aug 3rd.

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2024, 04:38:50 PM »
I've just had a response to the email I sent on Aug 3rd.

That’s about the same response time my wife had a few years ago. Promising.

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2024, 05:40:20 PM »
That’s about the same response time my wife had a few years ago. Promising.
Mind you, that's merely a response to a query I sent about my WEP.  And all they did was send me a form.  If you're thinking of applying for your US state pension, I doubt whether you'll get a meaningful response within 6 months - and they'll need to schedule your "interview".  But who knows - they may have improved.

Sponsored Links