Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Please help ASAP---Revising overstay statement  (Read 1621 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Please help ASAP---Revising overstay statement
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 11:54:13 AM »
But, I had no idea that it is this bad. My hubby and I are here for 2 yrs, due too his job, probably like most of everyone using this site.

Most of the people on this board aren't here b/c of work. I'd say the majority are here b/c of relationships with British spouses/partners.

If something happened to your husband while you were here,  your husbands company and/or the US embassy and UK Home Office wouldl help you out.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 09:52:19 PM »
A way to here others horror stories. Don't mean that is a bad way. Just very enlightening.

It's not really a horror story.  NYUSUK is taking some preventative measures, and it's a good idea, but the visa itself is not in jeopardy. 

A simple overstay in itself is not sufficient grounds for refusing a spousal application (if there's been no prior removal actions), the application is for settlement after all, right?  If everything else about her app is in order, she's a happy bunny.   However, there's lots of gray areas downstream, and lots of things can happen before she starts waving a British passport in the air.  Mobility in the EU, subsequent apps, changes in the rules, lots of unknowns.

And the only thing governing all that is what gets put in her transcript that the ECO makes.  And sometimes it pays to be safe and get your own explanation included in with it - because it can affect your credibility later.  Of course it's optional, and certainly if you trust the ECO to get it down correctly or you are confident to clear any issues arising in the future, then you can ignore it altogether  :D  Maybe some people lurking out there who got their spousals and then refused their ILR might shed more light...

About your idea for a manual or book, I was reading a series of books earlier this year for American spouses abroad.  They were about $15 each and I think 6 or 7 of them.  They covered stuff like how to improvise 4th of July house decorations, or what to do if your oven is (heaven help us!) too small to make a Thanksgiving turkey.  OH!  And the British are very economical, and you will fit in better if you grow your own vegetables - and you can get good tips from your neighbors.   ::)  And OMG!  Don't wear heavy make-up in Arabia!  Stuff like that.

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2005, 12:42:11 PM »
Our school actually gave us books before coming all about what to do and where to go for stuff...one came from the Junior League about living in London.  There are many other books available about living in the UK that explain lots of things.  This site is great for more specifics but the books were quite adequate. 

http://www.jll.org.uk/UserArea/StaticPages/LivingInLondon.asp
for those who are moving to London...though it does have a big 'ladies who lunch' sort of feel to it.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2005, 01:27:39 PM »
Our school actually gave us books before coming all about what to do and where to go for stuff...one came from the Junior League about living in London. There are many other books available about living in the UK that explain lots of things. This site is great for more specifics but the books were quite adequate.

http://www.jll.org.uk/UserArea/StaticPages/LivingInLondon.asp
for those who are moving to London...though it does have a big 'ladies who lunch' sort of feel to it.

watch it, that's my organization you're talking about!  LOL.

Just kidding-that book is our biggest fund raiser and it's great!  it allows us to go out and help needy women and people in the community!!!!!!  sales of that book are 100% invested back into the work i do all the time!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2005, 02:22:27 PM »
So Garry, what could happen in future? What do you mean by "mobility in the EU, subsequent apps, etc"?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2005, 02:26:18 PM »
Garry said: The objective is to mitigate a credibility problem, and for that you need to get to the root issues of what's going to be worrying them when they see your app.  It's vital that the interview needs to be a rehash of what's already known, tieing up loose ends and what-not, and going half-way doesn't accomplish that...

Just so I know exactly what to put in my explanation letter, what are the root issues? How do I substantiate my credibility?

Sponsored Links