Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Should I get married in the USA then apply for Spousal Visa for UK?  (Read 761 times)

Should I get married in the USA then apply for Spousal Visa for UK?

Would my Fiancé be able to marry me here then apply for spousal visa in a matter of 2 Weeks?

So I can leave with him and live in the UK.

Will my Fiancé need to apply for a visa of some kind to come and marry me then leave?

Much appreaciated!

Look forward to your replies!

• Liked: 8
Re: Should I get married in the USA then apply for Spousal Visa for UK?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 07:15:26 PM »
No, your fiance won't need any type of visa to enter the US to marry you.  If you were planning on living in the US following the wedding he would need a visa.

First thing to find out is how long it takes to get the marriage certificate in your county.  If you can get it back in a matter of days and will be applying for your spousal visa in person, then yes, it's possible you could do it all in two weeks.  If it takes longer than a few days or you'll need to apply via post, the process will take more than two weeks in which case your fiance could return to the UK and you could follow along once you received your visa. 

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 07:53:00 PM »
This is basically what we did.  Had wedding here in Sept, hes back in the UK now and Ill be there for good end of January.  We were able to get our marriage license immediately.  But since we had a few months, I have yet to apply for visa.  Im now waiting to get my passport back with my new name on it, then will be sending in all his stuff and mine for visa.   :)

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 08:03:40 PM »
So does it matter how long we are away from eachother? Cause all im really concerned about is getting my Licence for Costmetology ( Hairdressing). Ill be done with school in May 2006 I want to leave by August 2006. Can Neil and I get married in March while hes here for 3 weeks?

Can he come back and go back with me in OR before August?

What do you suggest?

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 06:58:48 AM »
So does it matter how long we are away from eachother? Cause all im really concerned about is getting my Licence for Costmetology ( Hairdressing). Ill be done with school in May 2006 I want to leave by August 2006. Can Neil and I get married in March while hes here for 3 weeks?

Can he come back and go back with me in OR before August?

What do you suggest?

Yes you can get married in March if he's not planning on settling in the US.  He doesn't not need a fiance visa, he can come here as a visitor to get married. 

If you are married then you should have no problems getting your visa.  You would have plenty of time to do it by post if you cannot travel to one of the consulates in the US (LA, Chicago, NYC... among others?).  Here is the page that explains how to get your spousal visa and the proper documentation needed. 

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/other_show.asp?SarticleType=25&Other_ID=322

Here is the main page:
http://www.britainusa.com/visas/visas.asp

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 11:54:07 AM »
(LA, Chicago, NYC... among others?)

No, I'm pretty sure those three are the only British Consulates that deal with visas....which is annoying since there's a perfectly good British consulate in Houston, where I live, but they don't deal with visas so I'm going to have to send mine to LA. Grr.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 12:21:32 PM »
No, I'm pretty sure those three are the only British Consulates that deal with visas....which is annoying since there's a perfectly good British consulate in Houston, where I live, but they don't deal with visas so I'm going to have to send mine to LA. Grr.

After you get citizenship, you can use the consular services in Houston whenever you visit.  If that's any use...

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 05:33:23 PM »
cool so we could be separated for like 2 years and it wouldnt matter?...................(Not saying thats going to happen)...............

I apply for entry clearance and my Visa few weeks before my departure...... correct?

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 06:41:39 PM »
Your visa is your entry clearance.  If you apply by post, apply 3-4 weeks before you want to leave.  If you apply in person, you can theoretically apply the day before you fly.

As for being separated, no, you can't be separated for that long.  Two years after you enter the country on your spousal visa (FLR/LLR), you'll have to apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR).  In order to qualify for ILR, you must prove that you've been living together as husband and wife for the previous two years (obviously you can be apart for trips/work, etc. for some of that time).

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 07:05:41 PM »
Your visa is your entry clearance.  If you apply by post, apply 3-4 weeks before you want to leave.  If you apply in person, you can theoretically apply the day before you fly.

As for being separated, no, you can't be separated for that long.  Two years after you enter the country on your spousal visa (FLR/LLR), you'll have to apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR).  In order to qualify for ILR, you must prove that you've been living together as husband and wife for the previous two years (obviously you can be apart for trips/work, etc. for some of that time).

But I think she would be applying for FLR, not ILR. I think she's asking, can he fly to the US, marry her, go home and then can she apply for FLR after 2 years.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 09:17:25 PM »
But I think she would be applying for FLR, not ILR. I think she's asking, can he fly to the US, marry her, go home and then can she apply for FLR after 2 years.

Ah, yep....just read it the other way.   ;)

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 10:17:41 PM »
No im asking if I can be here in the USA For a longer period anticipated without questioning from the embassy or EC officer. Like we would still be married but he would be in the UK for like 6-12months ( just for information) before I could meet him there. This is not even before we have applied for a Spousal Visa.

like this.....................

Marry Neil in March in USA

Neil comes back for Visit before August......

Caroline Finishes her schooling and passes test.......

Caroline Applys for Marriage/ Spouse Visa

Neil flys over to fly back with caroline in August.....
( Meanwhile we are married this entire time)

Just wanted to know if anyone of importance would look down their nose on this situation when trying to get into the UK......

Like for example " Why have you been away from your Wife for so long?"  "why is she still here in America?" ETC ETC.......... Does that leave us in jeapordy of not being able to be with one another? Based on our living conditions...  Could they deny me entry to the UK based on us not being with eachother for so long while i finish everything I have to do?

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 10:23:00 PM »
I think you'll have issues when it comes time to apply for ILR because it will expire two years after you receive it and you'll need to prove that you spent nearly all that time in the UK before you can apply for FLR.

You'll need to apply for your visa a few weeks before you plan on moving to the UK. Not now if you aren't planning on going for 6-12 months.

There shouldn't be any problems with getting married now and then being apart for 6-12 months. Lots of people are apart for awhile after they marry. But you'll need to wait to apply for your visa.

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 10:28:54 PM »
Thanks for you help! I think were on the same page now  ;).

This is a headache all together!!!

good to know  :D :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab