Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Work Permit Holder- need Spousal Visa?  (Read 562 times)

• Liked: 0
Work Permit Holder- need Spousal Visa?
« on: December 06, 2005, 12:58:00 PM »
Hypothotically speaking: If a work permit holder (FLR) gets married, do they HAVE to apply for a spousal visa?  Can they stay as long as the work permit/FLR ramains valid?
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Work Permit Holder- need Spousal Visa?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 01:32:15 PM »
If my work permit gets renewed for another few years (which it probably will), I'm not bothering with the spouse visa...cause I'll be able to get my ILR after two more years anyway.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 01:38:34 PM »
No you do not have to switch if you are already in a settlement category.  But all the rules still apply for COA if you get married in the UK to a Brit.  

Also, it's probably a trivial point, but if you do not switch, cannot work as a free agent but rather are tied to your WP sponsor.

Even more obscure, as a WP holder rather than a spouse, you forfeit the domestic violence and bereaved spouse concessions.  

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 02:06:39 PM »
thanks for the info.  but if i have a indefinite leave to remain (ILR) by the time we're ready to tie the knot, i won't need a CoA, right?
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 03:30:37 PM »
Thanks for the info Garry...

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 04:12:17 PM »
Thanks for the info Garry...

aw shucks  :-[

and meggles, if you have ilr, you can do anything you want.  And since an ILR holder can sponsor a non-EU spouse in their own right, you certainly don't need a COA.  ILR is the end of the line unless you want to vote or exercise treaty rights.

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 03:57:01 PM »
I have a Civil Union with my partner that is equivilent to the Civil Partnership Act just passed.  I have a work permit visa.  Would my partner be safer coming over on a visitors visa then apply here as Civil Partner for FLR?

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 04:31:37 PM »
To be honest, I don't see the point.  It should be fairly straight forward for your partner to get the visa before he comes over, and if he comes in as a visitor and gets questioned by immigration, there is a chance that he will be refused entry as his intention is not really just to visit.

Victoria

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 12:17:32 AM »
I did some research and you can not change status of your visa once in the UK if the visa you came on is for less than six month duration.  Thanks for your positive comments VictoriaS.  Some friends in Bedford have been giving bad advice.  Sure am glad I found this site and all the awsome folks in it. 

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 12:52:40 PM »
I switched from my work permit to my spouse visa because I wanted to change jobs, and as garry says, you can't do that on a work permit. Otherwise I think you're fine.

Oh, Garry, I wonder if you can answer a question for me. I lived in the UK for two years on a work permit, got married, and will have lived here two years on that in April 2006. Will they let me go ahead and go for citizenship as soon as I get ILR, since I have four total? TIA!

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 12:59:39 PM »
Oh, Garry, I wonder if you can answer a question for me. I lived in the UK for two years on a work permit, got married, and will have lived here two years on that in April 2006. Will they let me go ahead and go for citizenship as soon as I get ILR, since I have four total? TIA!

Yes.  That's fine....

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 01:00:49 PM »
i think one advantage of having your status in the UK defined by your marital status is that you can apply for UK citizenship early. i think if you are married you can apply for citizenship after living in uk for 3 years, whereas if you are on a work visa [or any other kind, for that matter] then you must wait 5 years.

Sponsored Links