Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone dealt with ADD on the NHS?  (Read 1723 times)

• Love Exile
    • stoat
  • Liked: 0
Anyone dealt with ADD on the NHS?
« on: May 01, 2004, 01:42:12 PM »
My partner has ADD and although she has improved her coping skills, she still has a lot of difficulties and would like to see if medication can make a difference.  She has a diagnosis from a London psychologist who she has seen privately but obviously she can't get a scrip from this person; she hasn't involved herself with the NHS about any of this yet.  She has the money to go private if necessary...we'd obviously like to keep the cost down, but not if it means she gets no care!

Anyone have any war stories or positive experiences? 
~Emily

"It is one thing to say that our feet do not know they are feet.  It is quite another thing to say that they are illusions."  --Ernest Holmes

• child is a precious miracle
Re: Anyone dealt with ADD on the NHS?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 09:45:58 PM »
My son has ADHD and bi-polar disorder, also attachment disorder and defiance disorder, his therapist and psychiatrist here have both been to england and have given me a wonderful list of therapists and organizations that deal with these types of illnesses. Medication is a definate must for him, if I can find out from her tomorrow what the name of the website is that she's used to pull her lists of providers from for me, I will definately give it to you. Can you give me your location so I can ask her specifically where you should check? We are moving to Kidderminster at the end of August, so that is the only area I have lists of providers for at this time  :) I hope I can be of some help, I know moving with a child dependant on medication for those types of illnesses is really scary when moving overseas.
Wife to Karl, mother of 3
back in the USA to stay
http://mathews.me.uk

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 10:35:55 PM »
My partner has ADD and although she has improved her coping skills, she still has a lot of difficulties and would like to see if medication can make a difference. 
I am not familiar at all with the Health System and don't want to start a huge medication debate..just feel the need to throw out one suggestion...has your partner investigated or considered vitamin/dietary supplements/changes. There have been many studies showing that this can work and might be worth a try before medications. I don't have a resource in the UK but am sure you could do some research online if it is of interest to you/her.

Good Luck in whatever option you both choose to pursue..and it is wonderful she is facing this obstacle with your help and the help of a counselor!
Helena

• Love Exile
    • stoat
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 11:35:36 AM »
We're very near London and could easily travel pretty much anywhere in the South East.

Helena:  My gf has done dietary intervention plus physical exercise, vitamins, fish oil supplements, two different coaches, any number of organizational systems and a whole lot of just plain determination.  There have been some small improvements, but still, her brain drives her crazy.  Her memory is appallingly bad and causes trouble for her every single day; and many days she cannot concentrate for long enough to even read a few pages of a book.  Although she's a brilliant woman, despite this and even with the diet/supplements/coaching, she has to spend up to 70% of her time during the day trying to do the mundane daily tasks that "normals" can do with ease.  She goes to bed every night exhausted with the effort of just trying to focus.  So she'd like to make a medication trial and see if she feels it's worth it.  I really don't blame her; I see how she suffers with this.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 11:41:27 AM by tholian8 »
~Emily

"It is one thing to say that our feet do not know they are feet.  It is quite another thing to say that they are illusions."  --Ernest Holmes

• Love Exile
    • stoat
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 01:46:50 PM »
Yes, I know that--I was just wondering about what the usual NHS treatment is for this condition, so that we can make a decision about whether it's better to go private or even <shudder> to the States.  My gf does not want to just be stuck on an SSRI as a sort of blanket thing (as has happened to at least one British friend of ours with ADD, and we have heard from several people that this is what happens to adults with the disorder in the UK--that they generally won't even try anything in the stimulant family for adults. )
~Emily

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 02:28:20 PM »
Tholian, I suspect you may just have to make an appt and see what the NHS doc says. If it looks like it's SSRIs all the way, then see about private. I suspect that depending upon where people live will indicate the type of treatment the local docs provide. From what I understand there is no guarantedd UK-wide standard of treatment for a lot of things - from cancer to child birth to mental health.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Love Exile
    • stoat
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 02:36:54 PM »
Thanks, balmerhon.  The reason we were thinking about going private from the first is, of course, the pre-existing diagnosis thing.  Since Gez was only informally diagnosed by her psychologist, who she saw on a cash basis, there's no paper trail.  Hopefully we can get in contact with some London-area drs. who are sympathetic.  One of gf's former coaches has a list of providers, so I guess we can start there.
~Emily

• Love Exile
    • stoat
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 03:14:11 PM »
OK, I didn't understand that.  My only knowledge of private health insurance is from the US system where in most cases, a doctor will be approved for certain plans but not for others.  And of course my gf is USELESS when asked about the situation in the UK; she has no earthly idea how any of this is handled.  Maybe I'm ultra paranoid due to decades of fighting with US insurance idiocy....I'm afraid of making a mistake that will end up costing thousands or meaning that she is denied treatment.
~Emily

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 03:44:25 PM »
NHS or private, it's the same consultant.

Is it? Aren't some UK docs just private now? Like dentists? Anyway, with private, can't you then go to whom you want, rather than being restricted by your NHS geography? Just wondering, and I agree Tholian, you need as much info before you see anyone officially.

Just an example, but since I've moved several times in a short span, I can vouch for the geography thing with the NHS. Paper records were lost, one district made me redo tests and such 'just to make sure' etc. My point is that I think that you aren't restricted by this as much on private - therefore you should also be able to go to the doc you want - so if Tholian's GF doesn't like who she sees first time around, she's not stuck with them. I'm not positive on this though...anyone else have an idea?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 03:46:01 PM »
You will not necessarily always get the same consultant whether you go private or through the NHS.  This is true in some cases, but there are alot of  clinics and psychologists that are private and do not have NHS ties.
 But it's also true that many people go private after having a diagnosis and even treatment on the NHS without the pre-existing condition problem.  At the moment we are going through the orthodontist thing and were told that if we had insurance we could go private and get the treatment much sooner.  And I know of freinds who had grommits done privately with insurance after the initial consultant appt.   

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 06:04:41 PM »
We're very near London and could easily travel pretty much anywhere in the South East.

Helena:  My gf has done dietary intervention plus physical exercise, vitamins, fish oil supplements, two different coaches, any number of organizational systems and a whole lot of just plain determination.  There have been some small improvements, but still, her brain drives her crazy.  Her memory is appallingly bad and causes trouble for her every single day; and many days she cannot concentrate for long enough to even read a few pages of a book.  Although she's a brilliant woman, despite this and even with the diet/supplements/coaching, she has to spend up to 70% of her time during the day trying to do the mundane daily tasks that "normals" can do with ease.  She goes to bed every night exhausted with the effort of just trying to focus.  So she'd like to make a medication trial and see if she feels it's worth it.  I really don't blame her; I see how she suffers with this.

I am glad to hear she has tried these options, and sorry it hasn't helped enough. I hope she finds something that helps, and yes medication may be the answer! I know it must be very difficult. I suffer from ADD but not anywhere near to the level you describe. She is lucky she has your support and understanding. Helena

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 01:03:21 AM »
I am glad to hear she has tried these options, and sorry it hasn't helped enough. I hope she finds something that helps, and yes medication may be the answer! I know it must be very difficult. I suffer from ADD but not anywhere near to the level you describe. She is lucky she has your support and understanding. Helena

I know I'm dragging up an old thread here but I was searching for anything posted on ADHD before I started a new topic. I was thinking of going to my GP to talk to her about my ADD and see what I need to do to get on medication. I'm a bit worried about how ADD/ADHD might be viewed in the UK and I don't even want to bother seeing a doctor if they're going to roll their eyes at me, if you know what I mean.

In the States, I was on Adderall and it worked really well for me. I'd be interested in hearing about the other options you've mentioned though. I'm assuming you use some of them? I can function when it comes to daily tasks but I often have a difficult time in the workplace. I'm applying for jobs at the moment and am looking for a way to help myself function better in the workplace. I'd appreciate any advice you have.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 07:18:29 PM »
My husband is a support worker and cares for some children with ADHD. I know very little about it myself, but from what he's told me, the treatment doesn't seem to be much different than in the States.  He deals with them socially, though, not medically.

He works for a non-profit and the kids he works with are low income, so I am sure they don't have private doctors, and are getting their medical treatment via NHS.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 07:21:51 PM by sweetpeach »

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 08:00:40 PM »
In the States, I was on Adderall and it worked really well for me.

I have a friend in the states who was diagnosed as an adult and started medication. I knew her before her diagnosis and after. It was like night and day... dropping out of community college, string of dead end jobs to graduating with a master's and managing two kids and a family. medication does work for adults who benefit from it.

I work with special needs kids here as a social worker and I was quite surprised at how many were on different ADHD medications. I thought it was just an American thing to drug up kids (to an extent that is the truth with some of the kids I've worked with!)

Anyhow, I will ask my colleagues and see what the attitudes are for adults with ADD and ADHD. I've noticed as there is more awareness of disabilities like autism in children people start to notice it in adults they they always thought were "not quite right"  too. The UK is a long way from providing services across the generations but at least the awareness is starting to get out there.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab