Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can't seem to find the answer anywhere...  (Read 584 times)

• Liked: 0
Can't seem to find the answer anywhere...
« on: April 08, 2007, 07:38:57 PM »
In regards to applying for ILR - does anyone know if there is a maximum number of days one can spend outside the UK from the time one arrives on a FLR (Marriage) visa? 

I've been looking, but cannot find a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance :)

• Yorkshire Yank
    • my blog
Re: Can't seem to find the answer anywhere...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 07:55:39 PM »
I do know that on FLR you can come and go from the UK with no problem. I'm pretty sure if you spend a certain amount of time (a few months I think but I'm not sure how many) than you'd basically forfeit your residency and if you wanted to go back you'd have to apply for you spousal visa all over again. Someone else here should be able to give you a more detailed reply I'm sure.
Fiancee visa approved 17 Dec. 2010
Arrived in UK 23 Dec. 2010
Married 26 April 2011
FLR(M) application posted 17 May 2011
Received Biometrics letter 28 May 2011
Biometrics done 8 June 2011
Biometrics Residence permit received 23 June 2011
SET(M) application posted 6 June 2013
Biometrics letter received 22 June 2013
Biometrics done 28 June 2013
Received my documents and letter that my BRP is being issued 6 July 2013

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 07:57:43 PM »
I'm not sure about that, I think I have heard there is a requirement though.

I know that if you are considering applying for Naturalisation that there is a restriction as to how many days you can be outside of the UK. I think the allotment is plenty for regular trips and holidays, but if you plan to eventually apply for that, I would recommend keeping track of all your time spent out of country.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 07:59:10 PM »
Hmmm maybe I should be a bit clearer about how much time I've spent outside the UK so far:

Moved here in May 06
13 day holiday in Nov 06
22 day holiday coming up July 07

My reason for asking is my mother wants me to visit later this year/early next year and I want to make sure its not a problem before I start saying yes to people!

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 08:02:16 PM »
I think you should be fine.  I spent a lot more time in the US and I had no problems at all. (One stay was 6 weeks)

• Dar
  • Geek of the medieval persuasion

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 08:02:50 PM »
I would think that you are okay, but, perhaps Vicky or Garry would now the exact amount of time.
I am the architect of my destiny.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 09:24:43 PM »
I'm no expert at this but I think your maximum amount of day's you can spend back in the States on a FLR is 90 days. like someone said ask Garry, Vicky, & Andrea they all seem to be really knowledgeable about that kind question.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 09:27:53 PM by shugga »

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 11:09:48 PM »
There is no statutory basis for disqualifying (or qualifying for that matter) an applicant based upon time spent in or out of the UK.  The rules for ILR at the end of the 2 year probationary period are spelled out in Paragraph 287 and they say nothing about how much time the applicant needs to be in the UK.

What they do say, however, is that the marriage must be subsisting and that both parties intend to live together permanently.  That's what the law says, and the law-makers were silent on what the definition of 'subsisting marriage' is.

In answering that, the policy side has a framework for determining whether or not a marriage is subsisting, and it includes things like having 10 pieces of correspondence for each of the two years and so on.  We get lots of threads about that part.

They also look at time spent in and out of the UK.  And because it is not part of the 'official rules', they put guidelines in the 'unofficial rules', a portion of which is properly known as the IDI's.

The IDI's tell us that the applicant and sponsor should have spent the majority of the 2 years living together.  And if this is not the case, then they need to have a good reason for the application to succeed.  So the majority of time means at least 1 year together in the UK.

In 2004, I was approached by a Russian woman whose ILR application had failed because she was out of the UK for 110 days and her refusal letter cited an unpublished rule stating 90 days as the maximum.  I had never heard of it, and requested it under the Freedom of Information Act, but my request was refused, so I appealed and I lost the appeal.  Sometimes things happen like that. 

And here in UKY last year, a staff member at the British Consulate in Los Angeles sent an email to a forum member (PhoenixMoon, for those that recall her) that said since she was out of the UK for more than 90 days, that her entry clearance had been revoked.  That was total bollux, and I complained and they ultimately retracted.  But they never cited their source.

Those incidents are enough to indicate that there's something that says 90 days, but it's hard to find out exactly where.  I have it in mind that since the fee increase was so wildly dramatic, that public interest has tipped in my favour and we actually need to see it because so much money is at stake for each applicant.

On a separate strand:  I was looking at the new IDI's last week when the new BIA went live and noticed that sections of Chapter 8 (Family) have gone completely and mysteriously missing.  Thankfully, an unsung hero in the Advocacy Group is going to make enquiries about the missing sections with a view towards a Freedom of Information Act request.  Stay tuned.

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 11:25:10 AM »
i lived in france for about 11 months during the 2 year period...and i did not have a problem when i applied for my ILR. we had post for our address in france as well as the UK. i've lived in the UK for 6 years with various visas (ie work permit, settlement visa) so that may have had a positive influence.

i know it may be an issue when i apply for naturalisation...as i'm at the limit for the 3 year period. but from what i've read the length of time in the country is something that is taken into consideration if you are out of the country beyond the 270 days. at least i'm hoping so!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 04:10:44 PM »
As Garry has said...

Basically, the IDI's say that you must prove you are cohabiting and that you intend to make the UK your home.  More than 50 per cent out of the UK will therefore cause a problem, and a lot of time spent away from your spouse will also cause problems.

Vicky

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab