Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Re: Making the move...  (Read 1271 times)

• My Baby & Me...
  • Liked: 0
Re: Making the move...
« on: January 12, 2005, 07:20:51 PM »
I've got a general question if someone could answer it...I'm taking the advice given to me to have my boyfriend (who is a British citizen) go to England first, get a job, get an apartment, etc.  He doesn't possess a degree in any particular field.  Do you think it would take him long to find a job?  But, I have a 2-year degree (Associates) in computer programming.  Would that be something I should list on my resume (C.V.)?  I haven't gone back to get my Bachelor's because it cost me $26K USD just for an Associate's and I don't have that kind of money  :-[.  Please help me to understand.   ???
Live for the day, I always say.

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 08:06:28 PM »
Hiya..  I suppose it depends what sort of job he is looking for.

I only have a high school diploma, and I got a job (in a banking call centre) the very first day i went out job-hunting, and have never been without a job since then.

At the moment, in my office of 12 people, only 2 people have a degree.

Hope that helps... i wouldnt worry about it.

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 08:31:17 PM »
I got a job (in a banking call centre) the very first day i went out job-hunting, and have never been without a job since then.

This gives me hope!!!  :)
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

• Unavailable for Comment.
Re: Re: Making the move...
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 08:55:38 PM »
As long as you are legal to work in the UK, you shouldn't have a problem getting work as well as your boyfriend.

:)
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 09:19:50 PM »
It does somewhat depend on the area you're looking, but on the whole, I don't think degrees are quite as big of a deal as they are in the US for a lot of jobs.

I don't have a degree either and I've managed to get a job within weeks of arriving, and have worked my way up into the very top management level of my company (having started as a pa/secretary) in about three and a half years.  Not bad really!  :)

• My Baby & Me...
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 01:01:08 PM »
well, if I come over on a UP settlement visa, will that give me the right to work anywhere, or will I still need a UK based employer to sponsor me a work permit?  Oh, so very confused!!!  ???

• Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 01:37:36 PM »
If you're here on a UP visa, you can work straight away--no need to be sponsored.

• My Baby & Me...
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 06:46:31 PM »
kewl... ;)  That is what I REALLY wanted to hear!!!  I was under the impression that I still had to get a sponsor for a work permit before I could attempt to get employed.  WHEW!!!  ::)  That is a relief!!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab