Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ok. So... How do I get a "social security" number in the UK?  (Read 504 times)

• Liked: 0
Ok. So... How do I get a "social security" number in the UK?
« on: September 18, 2008, 05:31:02 PM »
I know it's called something else but can't remember.  ??? My hubby doesn't know how for me to get one. Like I know i will need that to get a job and such. Can someone explain to me, step by step what I need to do when I get my spousal visa? and how I go around getting health insurance?

I know this is a tricky one. I think... But I'm clueless.

Re: Ok. So... How do I get a "social security" number in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 05:33:06 PM »

Read this, http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/nin/

And then any questions, just SHOUT...

OH!  Here's Kitson's narrative http://www.londonelegance.com/transpondia/nin/ninexperience.html

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 05:34:40 PM »
It is a National Insurance number that you need. You will need to be actively looking for work in order to be allowed to apply for one. Some offices tell you that you need to be employed- but that isn't true. You will need to show proof that you are actively looking for work.

Call your local Job Centre  and ask for an appointment. Sometimes you will need an initial appointment to verify that you qualify and then a second appointment to fill out the forms. Then you wait for it to arrive :).

oops x-posted with garry

• Smiley Gifts World
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 05:45:17 PM »
Is that true if you are a student as well?  I don't know what campus facilities there are, but I am living far away and won't want to trek across the city if I am sick or injured!  Plus I like the surgery I go to now.
Okay I am confused by this...not sure what your surgery or being sick or injured has to do with applying for a National Insurance Number.

• Smiley Gifts World
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 05:52:36 PM »
Well I know I am entitled to heathcare as a student (heathcare generally covering sickness or injury you know) and I know that I don't need a job in order to get it.  So would the procedure for getting a National Insurance Number for a student still involve the Job Centre?  Or would said healthcare be provided on campus?  Because if it is a campus clinic sort of situation like they have in the states I will want an alternative as I live on the other side of London and if I were actually in need of a clinic would probably not want an hour and a half commute.
You dont need a national Insurance number to be entitled to healthcare!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 06:23:51 PM »
Thanks garry. That totally helps! I'll shout if I have anymore questions.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab