Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Filing for UK citienship  (Read 1239 times)

• Liked: 0
Filing for UK citienship
« on: September 22, 2008, 04:59:21 AM »
Hi! My name is Anne and I'm contemplating becoming a UK citizen. My dad was a Scottish national up until the day he died, and it's been my long-time dream to move over to the UK (either England or Scotland). I've gotten the paperwork for my British passport, but after that I'm at a loss. The passport doesn't make me a citizen, does it?

I'm not planning on moving for at least 2 years. I'm finishing my Master's Degree in Library Science and will probably need a year or two of field experience before I uproot to the UK.

Anyway, has anyone on this board done this? I've never met anyone who's claimed their parent's citizenship. Any advice?

Thanks!!
Anne

• Liked: 3598
Re: Filing for UK citienship
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 07:20:07 AM »
Hi! My name is Anne and I'm contemplating becoming a UK citizen. My dad was a Scottish national up until the day he died, and it's been my long-time dream to move over to the UK (either England or Scotland). I've gotten the paperwork for my British passport, but after that I'm at a loss. The passport doesn't make me a citizen, does it?

If you have a passport, that makes you a citizen. So, providing you are eligible to claim citizenship by way of your father, then you are a citizen (if it turns out that you not, you will not be allowed a British passport).

You can look on the UK Home Office wesbite to determine whether you can claim citizenship: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/aboutcitizenship/Britishcitizenship/, but in fact the British passport is the final step in becoming a citizen so if you have already established that you are eligible to apply for one then there is no need to do anything else... you can only hold a British passport if you are a British citizen.

It may actually be the case (depending on your/your father's circumstances) that you have been a British citizen since the day you were born!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:23:44 AM by ksand24 »

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 07:28:18 AM »
Is there such a thing as a "Scottish national"?

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:25:28 PM »
The key question is...how did your father get his British citizenship?  Was he born in the UK, was his one of his parents born in the UK?

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 05:51:51 PM »
Oh, yes, I suppose that would help. :)

He was born in the UK (in Inverness, Scotland), and emigrated here to the US in the 1950s. As far as I can tell, he retained duel citizenship for the rest of his life, and actually always thought of himself as a British citizen (i.e. not American).

The application for UK passport asks that I include his birth certificate, my parent's marriage certificate, and my birth certificate, along with a heap of money ;)

I'm fairly confident that I qualify for citizenship. There is one snag, however. My partner and I aren't married and I won't move away without him. So we'll probably have to get married in order for him to come with me. As far as I know, this is actually the most complicated and "invasive" aspect of the entire relocation process, am I right?

I absolutely love this site! It was recommended to me by a recent member and she had nothing but great things to say about it! It's been soooo helpful and informative!

Thanks a million!
Anne

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 05:55:25 PM »
Is there such a thing as a "Scottish national"?

Oh jeez, I have no idea. Sorry: "he was born and Scotland and though he was living the majority of his life in the US, he always considered himself a Scottish citizen, and concerned himself with Scottish affairs and current events".

I just thought "nationalist" was a bit more concise ;)

• Banned

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 06:12:52 PM »
He was a British citizen other than by descent, which is great news.  So...it sounds to me as though you are a British citizen by descent, which gives you full rights to come and live here.  You just apply for your passport.

You can bring your partner over with you if you have been living together for two years...you don't need to marry.

Oh, and contrex is being awkward...call it English humour, you'll get used to it  :-\\\\

Vicky

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 06:23:22 PM »
yes, snark is not an alien concept to me :) i had a british father, remember! snarkiness is in my blood!

• Banned

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 06:25:49 PM »
Ah, of course, sorry!  Though I find Scottish humour to be more...well....direct!

(I'm English btw!)

Vicky

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 07:17:57 PM »
"Snarkiness" is an alien concept to most Brits, except the ones that visit here I suppose.

"Snarky (adjective) describes a witty mannerism, personality, or
behavior that is a combination of sarcasm and cynicism. Usually
accepted as a complimentary term. Snark is sometimes mistaken for a
snotty or arrogant attitude.

--Los Angeles Magazine

I just felt confused since there is no such thing as a "Scottish citizen". A native of Scotland, Wales or England is a British citizen. A person born in Northern Ireland is a British citizen, and also has the right to Irish Republic citizenship.

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 07:38:44 PM »
Hm, well the snark must be the American part of me...

Thanks for the grammar lesson.

• Banned

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 07:45:57 PM »
I've a huge number of friends who would describe themselves as Scottish nationals, and I wouldn't dream of telling them otherwise.  To take someone up on this is just being picky.

And I would say that 'snarky' is probably a known word to any Brit who has watched US tv in the past 20 years.  I am often snarky myself, and I will probably be more so as long as people continue to come on this part of the board for any purpose other than to offer constructive advice to potential immigrants and their families.  There is a whole big board and cybercommunity to debate these things...it's not needed here.

Vicky

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 09:47:03 PM »
Vicky, you've been more than helpful. Thank you so very much. I will take my other questions to the appropriate forums--although I may have more visa questions as I proceed with the process. I see that you are actually a consultant in these matters. Throughout my initial information-gathering phase I was praying that there were some of you out there! It can be so confusing!

Thanks again!

Anne

• Banned

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 12:17:12 PM »
No worries - glad to be of assistance!

Vicky

Sponsored Links