Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Am I being delusional?  (Read 712 times)

• Liked: 0
Am I being delusional?
« on: September 27, 2008, 01:38:30 AM »
We are in the process of getting our visa application done.  So, we might have all the documents ready by the first or second week of October. I really want to be over with my hubby for the Holidays. So, I was thinking of November 28th for my departure date. Now thinking, I'm just not sure we will make it!! It seems like Biometrics take a few weeks.  Do you think it will be possible? How long did your biometrics take?

There is a main Biometrics office thingy here in CT. Will that be the one I will go to?

Also, can I start the online visa application now?

Re: Am I being delusional?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 01:54:54 AM »
I had to wait 6 days (including the weekend) for my biometrics appointment.  There may be more than one office that does them in your area.  It doesn't have to be done at an actual USCIS office, and you get to choose which location you go to.  There are Application Support Centres around and there might be one in your area.  That's what I went to.  When you have submitted your application online, you'll be able to see what locations are available and which dates/times each of those have for scheduling your biometrics. 

You can start your application now and save what you've finished, but it's only saved for 7 days.  So, if you want to keep it current, you'll obviously have to log in before that period is up every week to keep renewing the same application (and application number). 

Is there any way you can get the necessary docs together any sooner?  If so, you could do the application now or asap, schedule the best biometrics appointment, and then send everything away within the allowed 2 weeks.  That way you'd have more time to play with rather than waiting and hoping to get your visa back in time to have a Nov. 28th departure.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 01:58:51 AM by SMS »

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 05:23:14 AM »
I'm in Fort Worth and when I applied online there was an appointment available as early as the next day here.. The USCIS office that I picked is only around 2 miles from where I live.  But if that office did not have any available I had like 3 offices within a 20-30 mile radius that I could have picked from.  Then there was one in Austin I could have picked but it is like a 3 hour drive but if I was desperate it was at least there to pick from.

Also if you apply online and the first available Bio Appt is weeks ago you can also book it and try to just 'walk-in' on a free day that you have.  I have seen where a lot of people here have been successful with that.  I think the reason being is that the USCIS offices are only allowed to book so many appointments for this a day so once they are gone they are gone but that does not mean that the offices are busy in fact mine (and others on here) have been dead when we went in!  So again if it does not give you a quick turnaround book the closest and try to 'walk-in' it wouldn't hurt to try and it won't hurt your application as the 10 days to get the stuff into the Consulate only starts once you complete the Bio Appt so if you do it early just have all of your paperwork done by that date.

Also, I would suggest that you try using a courier if you are trying to get a quicker turn around.  In the long run the extra cost that you are paying is well worth it being done quicker.  I am not sure what the time frame is around the holidays but can assume people will be on holiday and it may go slower around that time.

But I may be wrong about that..  :D
11 Aug 00 - Married (Living in US)
25 Jul 08 - Spousal Visa w/ KOL Stamp Approved
01 Oct 08 - Arrived in the UK
05 Mar 09 - ILR Approved (In Person Appointment ~ Liverpool Office)

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 04:43:05 PM »
I was able to get a biometrics appointment within 3 days of when I applied (Just before 4th of July and the holiday weekend). I had to travel 2 hours to Charlotte, but I was also prepared to drive to Raleigh or even a larger city in VA or SC if it meant getting my biometrics done sooner.

Also, like ancmc said, a courier is your best shot for a quick turnaround and many people find well worth the money and lack of stress from waiting for an answer.

Either way, make sure you DO NOT book your flight until after your visa has been approved and your passport is back in your hands. If you peek around on here, many people book a flight thinking they will have enough time and it doesn't work out that way. Sod's Law. Plus, you want to check that everything is correct on your passport anyway, like your name and the date your visa will be valid from and to.

Good Luck!! x
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 05:03:54 PM »
Please keep a running commentary on your progress, Moonfaery. You and I are on a very similar schedule. If all goes well, my house closing is November 25, so I'm hoping to leave the 26th. But my real estate agent recommended that I don't start any application that involves money until the buyer's mortgage is definitely approved, midway through October.

So, let us be delusional together.

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 05:14:47 PM »
I applied online last Sunday night, and had my biometrics appointment on Tuesday. I suspect had I gone in Monday, I could have done it then because when I walked in there for my appointment, there were 3 other people there getting biometrics done and they didn't have appointments. I ended up getting there way too early, and was in and out 45 minutes before my appointment time was even scheduled for. So if you're in a rush, I do recommend walking in if you don't get an appointment right away because chances are, you can get it done earlier.

I also suggest a courier. Waiting a few days vs a few weeks+ is well worth the money in my opinion. The amount of money you spend for the application...whats another $100 or so?

You can start the application now and just "save" it without submitting it. They will keep the saved application for 7 days. But if you don't apply until the second week of October, theres really no point in starting to fill it out right now because they'll just delete everything you saved by then.

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 09:50:48 PM »
I applied at the end of July and had to wait almost a month before I could get my biometrics appointment and only had one option to choose from. I wish I would have thought about just going to the building early and see if they could fit me in =(

I think it really just depends on where you are and what's offered. You won't get to see the options to choose til after you are done with your online application, and you have 2 weeks to submit your docs after your appointment.

so it is possible you could do your online app before you get all your docs but once you submit it you should make sure you will be able to have everything to send off within the 2 weeks alotted.
7/28/08 - Online Visa App. Completed [smiley=computer.gif]
8/20/08 - Biometric Apt. (Sup. Docs Mailed)  [smiley=smug2.gif]
8/25/08 - LA Consulate, App. & Docs Received  ;D
9/04/08 - 2 Emails: 5 & 10 days wait notice  [smiley=confused.gif]
9/18/08 - 1 Email: 12 weeks wait notice  [smiley=puke.gif]
9/21/08 - Consulate phoned to ask departure (said Oct. 24th) [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
9/22/08 - @8:51AM VISA APPROVED OMG!!! [smiley=hug.gif]
10/25/08 Land in England!!![smiley=laugh4.gif] )
1/03/09 - Tentative wedding date

Sponsored Links