Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Online visa application -- does it stand alone?  (Read 584 times)

• Liked: 2
Online visa application -- does it stand alone?
« on: October 03, 2008, 04:28:30 PM »
I've just started filling out the online fiancee visa application, and if my spleen doesn't explode at some point in this process it'll be mama's little miracle  :-X

I'm filling in my sponsor's information...my DF is a UK citizen, born in the UK and currently in the UK and the next question is the date that he arrived. Ummm...his birthday? And then it asks for proof he's allowed to be in the UK, and the help suggests I attach the bio page of his passport. Not really something I can put in an ASCII text box on a form.

At that point it dawns on me that maybe the online form isn't entirely an online sort of document...that some of the stuff it's asking for isn't expected to be supplied right there, but provided afterward? (It also didn't give me enough room to list all my trips to the UK, for example).

Either that, or I've just stepped aboard the crazy train to Crazytown. Toot toot!

Re: Online visa application -- does it stand alone?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 05:00:35 PM »
I've just started filling out the online fiancee visa application, and if my spleen doesn't explode at some point in this process it'll be mama's little miracle  :-X

I'm filling in my sponsor's information...my DF is a UK citizen, born in the UK and currently in the UK and the next question is the date that he arrived. Ummm...his birthday? And then it asks for proof he's allowed to be in the UK, and the help suggests I attach the bio page of his passport. Not really something I can put in an ASCII text box on a form.

At that point it dawns on me that maybe the online form isn't entirely an online sort of document...that some of the stuff it's asking for isn't expected to be supplied right there, but provided afterward?

The application prints out at the end, it is then you can attach documents. In the text area you just put British Citizen if that is what is listed on his UK passport.

Be warned, there was a glitch when I used it in March, if you list savings and save & get to the end it's not listed, don't worry just print it out anyway and hand write in the information...I actually went back and re entered it 4 times before I just gave up and wrote it in by hand before mailing.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 05:02:23 PM »
So is the application in its electronic form ever viewed by staff, or just my printed version with supporting materials attached?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 05:41:18 PM »
I just put his birth date as the date he arrived in the uk, and when he became legal to work there. I left it blank when it asks for proof, because I was sending in a copy of his passport, so they would have the proof with that.

What Weby3 says about additional information about savings is true. It was blank EVERY time I wrote his information about his savings when I previewed the application! So what I did, is on the last question when they ask if you have anything to add, I wrote "question 134 wouldn't save my answer, so I am writing my answer here" and then I continued to write about his ISA savings account.

Some of the questions are down right silly on the application though. It's not a very well thought out process. They ask your sponsers name and information twice as well. I would think once would cut it.  :P

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 05:50:37 PM »
So is the application in its electronic form ever viewed by staff, or just my printed version with supporting materials attached?

That I don't know, but this was the same thing when I did my daughters US passport application. All the questions were done the same way and then I just printed out the completed form and took it with me. Logically you'd think that someone would look at it but I tend to think not because you have to submit the signed form with the documentation. Oh yeah, don't forget to SIGN IT too!

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 06:05:37 PM »

I think they tend to look at the electronic form and then look for the supporting materials they need.  It is a fairly regimented process and trust me it helps to make sure how you provide your materials is clearly organised and marked.  They only really look at the "form" as a guideline and will typically make logical conclusions about things (like arrival infromation not being relevant in a particular case).  The electronic form essentially fills out a bunch of stuff on their screen, the focus on the important stuff.

When I applied in person (now about 2 years ago) he didn't look at my printed form (other then to get the reference number off of it) and then simply typed stuff in the relevant fields on his screen and asked me for about 1/2 of the information that I had to hand.  I had some strange things where the electronic form wasn't "accurate" but that didn't impede the process.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 07:00:07 PM »
Don't worry I thought the same thing...I did actually put his birthday and in that box below it?  I put he was born there.  And in the supporting paperwork I put his birth certificate and a copy of his passport showing his citizenship...good luck sister ;)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab