Sponsored Links

Poll

Can we get marrade in the UK??

Yes
2 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Topic: I am British she is American... can we get marrade in the UK?  (Read 600 times)

• Liked: 0
I am British she is American... can we get marrade in the UK?
« on: October 06, 2008, 06:20:08 PM »
It is not all as simple as it looks in the heading!!

I am a British Citizen with a British Passport however I legally live in Spain (I have residency). My fiance is American and she is living in Spain at the moment (she is on vacation and is soon to get residency). However we want to get marrade in March 2009 in the UK and we were wondering what we can do to get this moving!! We are not planning on staying in the UK so would my fiance just need to get "Marriage Visitor Entry Clearance".

Please help sombody. She is paniking!!

Al

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: I am British she is American... can we get marrade in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 06:38:39 PM »
Yes, you have it...

You realise you will have to exercise your EEA treaty rights in Spain if that is where you are settling, correct?

Is it a COE wedding or a Civil one?  If Civil, there is usually a 5 day period you have to both "reside" in your registrars cachement and 15 days of giving notice.  COE you have your COE rules, which are about to change (I can't remember when).
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 06:40:16 PM »
Hi a_waby, would you please clarify?  I don't get the part where your fiance is in panic.  She is afraid of marrying in the UK?  Or afraid they won't let her get married?

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 09:43:33 PM »
Yes you can get married in the UK but it would be a TOTAL pain in the a$$. My husband & I got married in California and only spent £110. Yes it was at the Registrars office but, it is the action not the location that matters. Plus you can choose the location of where you want to get married. We were married next to a waterfall. Good Luck!

***Edited to add that we got our license and were married within 30 minutes. No waiting period, residence requirements or blood tests. We just called and booked it about 1 month in advance in the County that my parents live in.***
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 09:47:34 PM by WebyJ »

• Banned

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 10:44:26 PM »
It's not that much of a pain.  As Kitson said, wait 5 days, register, wait 15 days, marry.

Vicky

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 01:54:39 AM »
Mine will only cost £103.50 and it's going to be in a registrars office in the UK. £30 for each of us to give notice...£40 for the room/"ceremony"...£3.50 for the certificate. No pain for us though.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 09:54:01 AM »
thanks for all the advise.... she is paniking because they might not let us get married in the UK and she didn't realise it would be so difficult!!

We are planning on living in Spain for a while but not forever, we have not decided where we are going to live long term it depends what happens with the company I am working for!!

We are planning on just a civil ceremony!! I will have to look into residing in the cachment area of my registar, as that looks like the best option at the minute!! (Do you know what the paperwork is like for this option... is there any??)

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 10:44:33 AM »
It sounds like an MVV might do the trick http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/mvv/ 

It shouldn't be something to panic over.  If you're expating in Spain and she's domiciled there, it should be a breeze...

• My blog!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 11:48:54 AM »
We are planning on just a civil ceremony!! I will have to look into residing in the cachment area of my registar, as that looks like the best option at the minute!! (Do you know what the paperwork is like for this option... is there any??)

As Gary said, a marriage visitors visa is required!  While officially you have to reside in your registrars cachement for 5 days, there is no formal paperwork to "prove" this, usually the registrar takes your word for this.  I simply showed up at the registrars office and made my appointment in 5 days time and the "proved" I was in the area.  There is paperwork to give notice, but the registrar fills this out.  Once you have given notice the dates can be somewhat flexible (they are hard period for Civil Partnerships for some reason) and you will choose a venue (registrars office is cheapest) and then come back for the marriage ceremony on your appointed date.

Plan for 20 days, call the registrar's office ahead of where you are going to registrar and talk through it.  Most registrars are perfectly reasonable and friendly people, unlike some of the UK Borders folks.  Be sure to inform that one person is a UK citizen and one is coming on a MVV.

Nothing to panic about, just obtuse, expensive and lengthy, where getting married in the States in most cases is perfectly easy, short and cheap.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

Sponsored Links