Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Emmigration. Who can emmigrate to the UK  (Read 1498 times)

• Liked: 1
Emmigration. Who can emmigrate to the UK
« on: February 04, 2009, 03:13:03 PM »
I would like some clarification on current emigration policy for the UK.

Can people from the British commonwealth emigrate to the UK without restriction. I was thinking about the people from Pakistan. My guess is people from the commonwealth can't emigrate under easier rules. Right or wrong?

People from Europe are free to live anywhere they like in Europe? I'm pretty sure thats correct.

If you are able to emigrate to the UK from outside of E, are you allowed to move and live around the rest of E.

If an American is married to a Brit they are not allowed automatically to live in the UK?
From what I have read here they can't. Right or wrong.

• Liked: 163
Re: Emmigration. Who can emmigrate to the UK
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 03:15:45 PM »
Just for the sake of clarity:

emigrate - to leave one country to settle in another

immigrate - to enter a country of which you are not a native.

;D

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 03:23:24 PM »
If an American is married to a Brit they are not allowed automatically to live in the UK?

Not without doing the proper paperwork and getting the correct visas. Just like if someone marries an American they don't get an "automatic" citizenship (don't really know where that rumor got started).

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 03:23:55 PM »
I would like some clarification on current emigration policy for the UK.

Can people from the British commonwealth emigrate to the UK without restriction. I was thinking about the people from Pakistan. My guess is people from the commonwealth can't emigrate under easier rules. Right or wrong?

You are right.  The only advantage to being commonwealth is that if you have a grandparent who was born in the UK then you can get an ancestral visa.  Otherwise, it the same for a Commonwealth national as it is for anyone else.

People from Europe are free to live anywhere they like in Europe? I'm pretty sure thats correct.

Yes indeed (within the European Economic Area).  However, some of the new member states (Romania, Bulgaria) have some working restrictions.

If you are able to emigrate to the UK from outside of E, are you allowed to move and live around the rest of E.

No, not at all.  A visa for the UK is a visa for the UK, not for any other EU country.  The exception is if you are married to an EU national and they are moving to another EU country to work/study.

You are right.  They need a visa.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 04:00:49 PM »
You are right.  They need a visa.
It seems possible that if you, an American, marry a Brit you could be stopped from living in the UK if the visa is denied and the Brit could be denied a visa to live in the US. I wonder if that has happened?

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 04:21:13 PM »
Yes Jim, plenty of times.

Have a look at the rules and you can see what conditions the applicant needs to fullfil...

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/part8/

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 06:10:18 PM »
It looks like gobbled tee goop to me. Why don't they go to school and learn plain English.

I hope I'm not treading on your toes. :)

• Banned

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 06:28:47 PM »
Of course not!

Basically (in plain English)

You have to prove you are really married, and that you didn't only marry so your wife could come to the UK.  You need to prove that you've somewhere to live in the UK, and that you can afford to stay here without having to claim benefits.

Vicky

• Liked: 12
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 07:04:22 PM »
It looks to me like spouses of EEA nationals have an easier time of it than spouses of British citizens?  Or am I just being paranoid?  ;D
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Banned

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 07:07:12 PM »
Oh no, you are absolutely right.

Free applications, no need to take the KOL test to get permanent residency, guaranteed entry as long as it is a genuine marriage (no need to prove maintenence and accommodation).

Vicky

• Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 10:24:56 PM »
Totally correct Vicky, But it works all ways, and thus British Citizens have the same treaty rights in any other EEA country.
John

Sponsored Links