Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UKY Tips and Tricks  (Read 1150 times)

• Liked: 0
UKY Tips and Tricks
« on: May 10, 2009, 09:30:33 PM »
I was hoping I could get other UKYers to share with me some forum tips and tricks. Like, for instance, how come the baking thread has a smiley face and the products that rock has a thumbs up? What happens if you ignore someone (Do you just not see that persons posts? What about quotes from their posts?)? And how does everyone else read the forum? I go thru and read all the responses to my posts, then new posts since my last visit, and then I mark everything as read and start over. Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance!  :D

Re: UKY Tips and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 09:31:40 PM »
Also, who is /actually/ an expert? I know garry and VictoriaS are immigration experts. Anyone else who is more than just a layperson?

(edited for grammar)

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 09:39:30 PM »
Ignoring a user means you won't see their posts in the thread itself, however, if someone quotes them, you will see their post, and likewise, if you use the reply button (and not quick reply on the bottom) you will see their posts in the summary thread.

They smiley face is something a poster can choose to add. It's one of the options when you create a thread or add a post to one. :)

There are several others who are not just laypeople, but I think it'd be unsporting to indetify them unless they do so themselves. Some prefer to post without reference to their background. Most people will give some backing to their opinion, be it from professional experience, a reference to an official source, or personal experience so even if a person is not, per se, a professional, it's not that complicated to figure out whose opinion one can depend on.

And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 09:42:53 PM »
When you start a new thread there is a drop down box that says 'message icon'.  Use this to add a thumbs up, smiley face, exclamation mark, etc to your thread title.  Or it just goes to the default one.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 09:45:03 PM »
As for experts ... UKY is owned and run by Leah, moderated by a team of unpaid volunteers.  There are some people who offer professional advice on the board from time to time, in various capacities, but none are employed by UKY so you have to take them at their word as to their expertise. Some people state in their signatures if they have professional qualifications or belong to any professional associations so you can check.  I know we have a couple of bankers who post sometimes, we used to have an accountant (not sure if she is still around), an estate agent or two, recruitment/HR people, nurses, social workers .. you name it! I am sure they will make themselves known if they are still active posters.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 10:11:26 PM »
When you start a new thread there is a drop down box that says 'message icon'.  Use this to add a thumbs up, smiley face, exclamation mark, etc to your thread title.  Or it just goes to the default one.

Does it matter what if you give it an icon and which one you do? I wouldn't want to upset anyone by going icon happy if that's not protocol.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 10:44:11 PM »
Also, if somebody you've ignored starts a thread, you'll see thread but won't be able to read the OP (which rather defeated the purpose for me).

As for icons -- go nuts! Um, as far as I'm concerned, anyhow.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 11:05:15 PM »
As for icons -- go nuts! Um, as far as I'm concerned, anyhow.

FWIW, I agree.  I like the icons! 

I'm like you...I read my unread replies and unread posts, then mark the rest as read.  Otherwise, it just gets confusing trying to find threads you want to read among the ones you don't. 

Also, I'm not an expert on anything useful like immigration, taxes, or recruitment, but if anyone ever needs a French or ESL lesson, give me a call!
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 07:29:11 AM »
Does it matter what if you give it an icon and which one you do? I wouldn't want to upset anyone by going icon happy if that's not protocol.

No.  Not at all.  I don't think most people care.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab