Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spousal Visa: ?s on funds & housing  (Read 739 times)

• Liked: 0
Spousal Visa: ?s on funds & housing
« on: April 12, 2009, 04:18:52 AM »
Hi! I'm new here, so it's nice to meet all of you. I will be applying for a spousal settlement visa in September 2009. My questions revolve around funds & housing. Here's some background, so bear with me!

*My British fiance and I met in class at a US university. He was doing a year of study abroad. He proposed in February 2009. I am graduating from university in May 2009. He graduates from his British university in June 2009.
*We have been back and forth four times since then, talk everyday via MSN, Skype, email, etc...
*Have been together for a year and four months.
*Have tons of photos of us together, including in front of the Tower of London, the Eye, etc... Also obviously stamps in our passports.
*I have a part-time job at a magazine near the university. I'm leaving the job in July 2009. I do not make enough to show that I can support myself.
*Fiance has about 30,000 quid in his savings. How much should he move to his checking to prove sufficient funds? How much is "sufficient?" He is otherwise unemployed and will begin a post grad program in October. With the money he has anyway, does it even matter that he's not employed?
*Going to Argentina for honeymoon so cannot send my passport off till we return to the US. Returning to the US September 20. We want to have the package ready-to-go prior to going to Argentina.
*Initially, we are planning to live in his parents' house as they have a flat on their third level. I know his parents need to write a letter stating that it's OK for us to live there, etc... But will that hinder our application?
*It's my understanding that Virginians must apply to the LA consulate. Any courier recs?

Sorry if any of this info proves dilatory, but I am just trying to adhere to the rules and suggestions laid out by this site. Thank you so much for any help! This site has already proved invaluable. We're excited and just want to be together!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 04:24:47 AM by jandn »

Re: Spousal Visa: ?s on funds & housing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 04:45:23 AM »
Pertaining to the money: it doesn't matter if it's in a checking account or savings, either way he has access to it, so you prolly wouldn't need to move it anywhere. Sufficient funds is somewhat of a grey area, but the ECO generally looks for somewhere around 95 GBP left over per week, after paying bills but before buying things like food and such. If you can make that threshold, generally you're in a pretty good position, since anything less than that would more likely than not be considered insufficient. As for whether or not he's employed at the moment, if he has that sort of savings available it shouldn't be a problem for the time being, but you may want to draw up a budget so the ECO can see how far that money will go--they want to be able to see that the funds and budget are sustainable. Any savings you can show will help as well, since I believe the ECO looks at the finances of you as a couple, not as individuals.

As for the housing, it shouldn't be a problem to stay at his parents' house, providing they write a letter giving permission, and can provide some sort of mortgage paperwork. As long as there's a bedroom for the two of you, and they can provide the paperwork, and you two will be paying them a reasonable amount of rent (unless they own the place outright), I don't think it'll be a huge problem.

As for courier recommendations for LA, I've seen a lot of people go through Global VIP, but I haven't used them so I can't personally recommend them. I guess the best thing you can do is call a couple, and get a feel for them and go with which one you feel most comfortable with; but I'm sure there will be people who will come along who can give better recommendations than I :)
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 09:47:38 AM »
jandn, £30000 is more than sufficient to show that the financial test will be passed.

Just one question .... where are the two of you planning to get married? In which country?
John

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 02:53:38 PM »
Kittenfish: Thanks so much for that info! So we should submit an estimated budget? His parents do own the place outright. Should they have a certified copy of their deed (is that the right doc?)?

JohnL: We're getting married in the US-Virginia, where I'm from.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 04:08:40 PM »
Kittenfish: Thanks so much for that info! So we should submit an estimated budget? His parents do own the place outright. Should they have a certified copy of their deed (is that the right doc?)?

It's not as necessary as showing bank statements and such, but sometimes it can help the ECO with his or her job; they'll be able to see that the bills are being paid and that there's money left over each month for the two of you. You don't *have* to do it, but I know people who've done it, and it certainly can't hurt your application with those kinds of savings :) As for what his parents need, the deed is sufficient as long as it shows they own it outright, and a letter from them giving you permission to stay there.
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*