Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I'm moving to UK!-Tier 2 Visa (here's an option for teachers!)  (Read 1891 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello! For those of you who were giving me advice on my other posts about Tier 1 visas, I'm sorry for not keeping you posted. Quick recap of my situation: I've been dating a boy from England for 2 and a half years and we are both teachers. Was offered a position as a substitute teacher through a UK agency, but they wanted me to get my own Tier 1 Visa. I thought that would work, but it wound up presenting a ton of complications and I was really upset because I didn't think I'd get over to the UK.

Anyway, good news: After this fell through, I decided to contact other teaching agencies in the rare chance that one of them might offer another kind of visa. I got a last minute phone call from Time Plan Teachers wanting me to interview in NY with 2 days notice. This was about 2 weeks ago. I interviewed and they offered me a job on the spot! I will be working in a suburb of London as a substitute teacher with the probability of being offered something long-term or full-time! They are one of the only agencies in the UK that deals with overseas teachers, I believe, and are going to give me a Tier 2 visa! They told me they will take care of the whole visa process and pay for it too! The only thing I'll have to do is take care of my biometrics. I am beyond thrilled that something worked out for me and I'll be moving to the UK to be with my boyfriend! I highly suggest that any teacher interested in moving to the UK look into Time Plan as an option.

P.S. I finally got my letter back from NARIC saying my Masters in Education only counts as a postgraduate degree...what a load of ****! So thank goodness I don't need to rely on that anymore for a Tier 1 visa.

Thank you again so much to everyone who had been following up on my situation before and offering me advice! This forum has been absolutely wonderful!

Re: I'm moving to UK!-Tier 2 Visa (here's an option for teachers!)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 03:19:47 AM »
Congratulations!  I am sure it must be such a relief to have all of that sorted. 
Tier 1 Application Process:
06 March 2009 - Online Application
14 March 2009 - Biometrics Appointment
20 March 2009 - Application Delivered to Chicago
23 March 2009 - Visa Issued
8 May 2009 - Moving to London

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 03:31:04 AM »
Try and keep your feet on the ground until you get a CoS number!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 05:44:26 AM »
yeah, how'd you work that out? I was under the impression that unless you are a maths teacher you can't get a tier 2 as a teacher. (Maybe that's how you got it?) Timeplan are the ones who brushed me off months ago...
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 08:00:45 AM »
yeah, how'd you work that out? I was under the impression that unless you are a maths teacher you can't get a tier 2 as a teacher. (Maybe that's how you got it?) Timeplan are the ones who brushed me off months ago...

Being a Maths or Science teacher is the only way to get a Tier 2 visa based on a shortage profession (which basically automatically gives you the 50 points required for sponsorship), but it doesn't prevent schools from hiring non-Maths or Science teachers on a Tier 2 visa if they can prove to the UK government that they can't find anyone else. The problem is though, that you are much less likely to get a teaching job that is not in Maths or Science than one that is, because none of the other subjects are considered to be in shortage at the moment and so few schools will be looking to hire foreign nationals instead of UK/EU citizens.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 12:08:10 PM »
I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but....

Time Plan cananot sponsor your tier 2 visa.  They are not on the register of sponsors, and as a recruitment agency would never be able to get on it.  You cannot get a Tier 2 as a substitute teacher.

Have you asked them how they are going to get around the fact that agencies are barred from sponsoship?

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 12:21:08 PM »
I'm sorry, I have to clarify because I wasn't specific about my visa. Time Plan is hiring me, but I am getting the Tier 2 Visa directly from Barking and Dagenham which is where I will be working. Nationwide, primary school teachers (which is what I am) are not on the short list, but apparently Barking and Dagenham (a suburb of London in Essex) is in such need of teachers that they are allowed to take international teachers. Time Plan told me that Barking and Dagenham has a specific licence to give out Tier 2 visas to people they will hire. I'm not sure how they are getting around things though if they are not allowed to give visas to substitute teachers. I know that Time Plan has guarenteed to pay me for work though 8 out of 10 working days even if I don't get called in to work.

Gottagettolondon: I am so sorry you had trouble with Time Plan in the past and they didn't give you a job. Maybe they are just in more need of teachers at the moment than before? I hope you are able to find something that works out!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 12:31:07 PM »
'Phew.

In which case, you are going to be fine.  If you are a substitute teacher working within a specific LEA then you are clearly employed by the LEA, not the agency, so there should be no problem.

Sometimes I am pleased when I am wrong...this is one of those occasions!

;D

Vicky

• Liked: 70
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 12:44:47 PM »
Congratulations!  I'm close to Barking, in Havering.  I don't see too many of us on the East side of London here.

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 01:53:37 PM »
I work for TimePlan West Midlands...good company. Are you going to be on their guaranteed work scheme? They guarantee 5 days' work within 2 weeks. Supply teaching is good pay. Just be careful as Barking & Dagenham isn't the best area. I turned down the offer as my husband didn't want to live near London...but they still forwarded my details to the West Midlands office.

Good luck! x
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 01:56:24 PM by LoveMyBrit »
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

Sponsored Links