Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Problems with re-entry?  (Read 588 times)

• Liked: 0
Problems with re-entry?
« on: April 21, 2009, 09:05:23 PM »
Hi,
I was recently issued a Tier 1 (general) visa and I plan on getting it stamped when I go to London for vacation in May. I will be in London on vacation 10 days and then be returning back to the States. I then have plans to move to London 3 or 4 months later in September.

Has anybody had problems with re-entry into the UK after being away for a few months? I've heard rumors that you can only be away for 3 months otherwise they could not let you back in. Does anybody know where I could find this information out? I didn't think much of it at first since my visa specifically say "multiple entry" on I but got concerned when I heard about this 3 month rule. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: Problems with re-entry?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »
I shouldn't think that you'd have any problems reentering after a few months.  As you say, the Tier 1 is multiple entry, and you don't have to be in the UK for a minimum period of time, or anything.  However, there's always a chance that you'll get an ignorant IO who'll give you a hard time. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Clapham Girl
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 09:42:21 PM »
I think the main issue is just that you can only be away from the UK for 6 months to qualify for settlement down the road and your time away will start counting down once you get the initial entry stamp (from what I understand.) I'm not saying what you just suggested prevents that, just that it'll take away alot of your "away" time from the UK.

I don't think you should have any problem coming back. I posed a similar question before and was told that so long as the visa is valid you won't be denied entry. I'm doing something similar myself but am currently debating whether or not to attempt to move sooner so as not to squandor the majority of my 6 months should I someday qualify for settlement.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:46:58 PM by AudreyNYC »
01 March 2009: online application
13 March 2009: biometrics
16 March 2009: submitted documents via FedEx
18 March 2009: Tier 1 Approved (NY consulate)
18 June 2009: Tier 1 start date
29 August 2009: Arrive in London
22 April 2010: Finally got a job

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 10:15:24 PM »
Oh okay. I didn't realize that, but I guess it makes sense. So let me just understand. My visa is good for 3 years, but if I want to "qualify" for settlement I can only be out of the UK for a combined period of up to 6 months? So let's say if my combined period of being outside of the UK goes over 6 months due to traveling, vacations, etc. but my visa is not expired I can still live in the UK until my visa runs out, but I can't qualify for settlement or renewal?

• Britannicaine
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:22:12 PM »
You can't qualify for settlement.  Renewal is different.  Economic migrants aren't eligible for settlement for 5 years, anyway, so you'd have to renew at some point if you want to settle. 

--Francis Cabrel

• Clapham Girl
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 12:23:46 AM »
You can't qualify for settlement.  Renewal is different.  Economic migrants aren't eligible for settlement for 5 years, anyway, so you'd have to renew at some point if you want to settle. 

Does this mean that you don't have to worry about the 6 month rule the first 3 years or are you saying you just don't have to worry about keeping your work permit and renewing it after that if your only goal is to work and not to settle?

I am curious if there is ever an option of settlement or rather if you have any options if you are out of the country for more than 6 months in the 5 years it would take under a Tier 1 to qualify for settlement.

• Britannicaine
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 12:32:24 AM »
Does this mean that you don't have to worry about the 6 month rule the first 3 years or are you saying you just don't have to worry about keeping your work permit and renewing it after that if your only goal is to work and not to settle?

I am curious if there is ever an option of settlement or rather if you have any options if you are out of the country for more than 6 months in the 5 years it would take under a Tier 1 to qualify for settlement.

All I was saying is that settlement and renewal are separate issues that have different requirements.  The OP was worried that >6 months out of the country would prevent him from renewing his visa, and my understanding is that that is not the case.  To renew a Tier 1, you have to continue to meet the points requirement, but there's no minimum residency requirement, I don't think.  I really don't know enough about Tier 1 to answer your other questions, sorry.

--Francis Cabrel

• Clapham Girl
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 12:34:44 AM »
All I was saying is that settlement and renewal are separate issues that have different requirements.  The OP was worried that >6 months out of the country would prevent him from renewing his visa, and my understanding is that that is not the case.  To renew a Tier 1, you have to continue to meet the points requirement, but there's no minimum residency requirement, I don't think.  I really don't know enough about Tier 1 to answer your other questions, sorry.

Ok cool, I thought that's what you meant but I wanted to make sure! This process is so precarious.  :-\\\\

Sponsored Links