Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I just washed my husband's passport....  (Read 1503 times)

• Liked: 3
I just washed my husband's passport....
« on: August 29, 2009, 12:14:13 PM »
He's not too happy with me right now.  :(  It's a newer one, so the information page is hard plastic and not ruined at all, but all of the stamps in and out of the US have been wiped out. Is this going to be a huge problem? Is there anything that we should do?

Re: I just washed my husband's passport....
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 07:52:09 PM »
 :o I hope the following is some sort of comfort after the accident(some sort of rescue i hope!).

Obviously, the passport will need to be replaced in future. Assuming its an Irish passport, it will cost €80.
1) Dry the passport by placing it near some radiator...(not direct fire/heat), so that the pages would become separable more or less. Dont use any cloth to wipe, otherwise it will do more damage to the stamps.
2) Make a note of what you can read about the stamps: date and where issued, the Vignette number, anything you can read really.
3) Make a photocopy of the details about the passport: ie the Passport number, ID, issue details etc
4) Its a good thing to keep a backup photocopy of the passport, you may have one. Its good practice, i keep a copy of mine. No idea why, just feels more safe that way. ;D 
Is this going to be a huge problem? Is there anything that we should do?
I dont know if it is going to be a problem, but i know something can be done so that it does not become a problem. Its likely/possible the Home Office (or Irish equivalent, sorry dont know what its called. Read 'last port of entry, passport issuing authority') may have kept a photocopy of the passport. So ask if a copy can to be sent to you. I would speak to the passport office and request a copy for future reference (if ever you need it), Their contact details are http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=401.
 ;)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 07:56:59 PM »
Let it serve as a lesson for him to take his passport out when he's done wearing the clothes!  ;)

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 08:11:11 PM »
It might not be ruined!  Can he get to consulate or embassy to have them look it over?

I washed my dad's US passport when they were last here.  He dropped brown sauce all over the trousers he was wearing the day they came in, he just had to go for a chippy on the way backy from the airport!, and didn't even think, just handed them over and I washed them.

They had planned to spend a day in Edinburgh visiting Andrew's parents so he emailed them and said it was an emergency and they let him come in to look at it.

We put it on the heater and it dried okay.  Thankfully it was fine because he'd renewed it only a month before their visit!

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 08:23:52 PM »
The page with his picture, passport number, etc is hard plastic, so that is definitely not ruined. The part I am most concerned about is that there are no stamps left in it. They're all washed out. I'm concerned if this would affect our application should we decide to move to the US.  :-\\\\  WHW, I have to go to the embassy to have some pages put into my passport, so I could take his along and ask someone to look at it. Thanks for the tip!

Let it serve as a lesson for him to take his passport out when he's done wearing the clothes!  ;)

It was in the breast pocket of his jacket. I looked through all the other ones and completely forgot about that one!  :-\\\\

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 08:58:52 PM »
I'm concerned if this would affect our application should we decide to move to the US.  :-\\\\  WHW, I have to go to the embassy to have some pages put into my passport, so I could take his along and ask someone to look at it. Thanks for the tip!

Don't worry too much if you decide to make an application to move to the US, when you fill out the forms, you add that information (trips over). Yes, they may do a compare with what you write on the application with his passport but I am sure there are provisions for this type of problem. Just like if you lost the passport, it doesn't mean, that's it, end of story. Things like this happen all of the time. I am sure you will feel better when you go to the Embassy and speak with them.  ;)

Added to say: Some of the stamps in my husbands passport where so weak, they really weren't that easy to read and we didn't have an issue.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 09:00:23 PM by Jules »

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 09:18:33 PM »
I just want to reinforce what Jules said, people lose their passports all the time and still are able to obtain visas.  You aren't the first and won't be the last person to do something like this so take a deep breath, it will be okay  ;D

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 10:31:23 PM »
Thanks guys!!  :)

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 07:48:59 AM »

It was in the breast pocket of his jacket. I looked through all the other ones and completely forgot about that one!  :-\\\\

Don't beat yourself up. I don't check anyone's pockets but my own, and if any money comes through the washer, it's mine. That was the rule when I lived at home with my family - I did alot of the laundry and there was no way I was going through six people's laundry to check pockets. I made alot of money that way.  ;D

It only took one jump drive washing and one almost cell phone washing for my fiance to learn. >:D He  now checks his own pockets before putting his clothes in the laundry basket.  :P
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab